Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the community and will hopefully soon be the proud owner of some cresties! I've been researching across the internet and have read all the care sheets for cresties on here as well as individual crestie posts.

I understand there is controversy about whether or not cresties need UV. I probably will be providing UV as well as an additional heat source light.

Am I right in thinking that the most popular/best lighting setup options are either a
- Arcadia Ultra Seal Vivarium Fluorescent Controller with a strip light (I read that i'd need ultra seal for the wet/humid enviroment) OR
- Exo terra light dome + Light bracket

What wattage am I looking at? and is it possible to have 2 lights (both uv and heat) on one bracket? The viv they are currently in is the large/tall Exoterra so I am unsure if there is a bracket inside for a strip light or if external lighting would be best!

Open to suggestions/advice!

Thanks!
Mossy :)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yes, something like ultra seal will be needed (basically, something thats designed for damp/moist environments)

I will say one thing, dont buy any electrical item from ExoTerra, notoriously dodgy products, some even outright dangerous, most are very poor quality and cheap materials. They charge full price for substandard products, especially where electronic/lighting equipment is involved.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes, something like ultra seal will be needed (basically, something thats designed for damp/moist environments)

I will say one thing, dont buy any electrical item from ExoTerra, notoriously dodgy products, some even outright dangerous, most are very poor quality and cheap materials. They charge full price for substandard products, especially where electronic/lighting equipment is involved.
Agree from personel experiance. The domes ive found ok but wouldnt use any other electricals

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
HI,

The choice of UV lamp is made totally upon the species to be kept and its developed wild-like needs and the size and type of enclosure.

There is no controversy with regard to their ability to use heat and full-spectrum light as from the solar source. They are ectothermic, solar reliant and they cannot obtain energy from the sun without being exposed to all of its terrestrial wavelengths. As such and as per the whole premise of natural selection, they will have a use and interaction with every energy field. This is proven by the fact that they are 'cold-blooded' and can only display a level of energy that is derived from an external source by % of power, that they are adapted to use UVA within vision and that you can measure increases in D3 blood serum levels via basic blood tests after exposure.,

The lamp shown is perfect for use over vivs 18" tall and through a mesh, providing that you plant well to allow good and natural self-regulation

They can be used in vivs of upto 3' tall as the animal can climb and self-regulate.

The D3+ UVFLOOD is actually the internal workings and lamp within this fitting, its a bit cheaper and easier to move about in order to create the projection zone that you have designed for

The standard set up for an average glass, mesh top crestie viv that is live planted and bio-active is; A stat controlled Deep Heat Projector and Day/night dimming stat, 24w D3+UVFLOOD, 22w Jungle Dawn.

good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI,

The choice of UV lamp is made totally upon the species to be kept and its developed wild-like needs and the size and type of enclosure.

There is no controversy with regard to their ability to use heat and full-spectrum light as from the solar source. They are ectothermic, solar reliant and they cannot obtain energy from the sun without being exposed to all of its terrestrial wavelengths. As such and as per the whole premise of natural selection, they will have a use and interaction with every energy field. This is proven by the fact that they are 'cold-blooded' and can only display a level of energy that is derived from an external source by % of power, that they are adapted to use UVA within vision and that you can measure increases in D3 blood serum levels via basic blood tests after exposure.,

The lamp shown is perfect for use over vivs 18" tall and through a mesh, providing that you plant well to allow good and natural self-regulation

They can be used in vivs of upto 3' tall as the animal can climb and self-regulate.

The D3+ UVFLOOD is actually the internal workings and lamp within this fitting, its a bit cheaper and easier to move about in order to create the projection zone that you have designed for

The standard set up for an average glass, mesh top crestie viv that is live planted and bio-active is; A stat controlled Deep Heat Projector and Day/night dimming stat, 24w D3+UVFLOOD, 22w Jungle Dawn.

good luck!
Thankyou so much for your detailed reply, really appreciate the support! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts