Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be fun to share my crestie setup as it happens!!

I know it's been done before but just wanted to share mine :flrt:

Today i picked up an Exo Terra Terrarium (45 X 45 X 60). A steal at £40!! : victory:

After a good wash and scrub it's looking super, very happy indeed :2thumb:

[URL="[/URL]

Reactions: Artisan

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Going for a live setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and technology

Reactions: mishka83

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today i attached the background with silicone and now have a heavy toolbox sitting on it to keep it flat until it's stuck.

I will wait for 24 hours before the next stage.

I chose the Zoo Med cork tile background (46 X 61cm). I thought it would need trimming but nope, superb fit :2thumb: Wasn't the cheapest background but the quality is great, not like the polystyrene Exo Terra ones as it's made of cork covered in what looks like real tree bark!

This is how it looks currently...

[URL="[/URL]

Reactions: Scrimey

·
Registered
677 Posts
Today i attached the background with silicone and now have a heavy toolbox sitting on it to keep it flat until it's stuck.

I will wait for 24 hours before the next stage.

I chose the Zoo Med cork tile background (46 X 61cm). I thought it would need trimming but nope, superb fit :2thumb: Wasn't the cheapest background but the quality is great, not like the polystyrene Exo Terra ones as it's made of cork covered in what looks like real tree bark!

This is how it looks currently...

[URL=http://s657.photobucket.com/user/aldal83/media/DSCN0493_zps41ebe0e0.jpg.html][URL=http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/aldal83/DSCN0493_zps41ebe0e0.jpg]image[/URL][/URL]
Like your idea , I'm watching : victory:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The background is now stuck and i'm really happy with how it looks :)

[URL="[/URL]

I then washed a bag of hydroballs to remove the worst of the dirt (seems silly really as eco earth will be on top lol!!

[URL="[/URL]

[URL="[/URL]

·
Registered
878 Posts
Don't forget to put mesh over the top of the hydro balls! :)
Bret.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Coming on nicely.that background looks awesome.:2thumb:

Reactions: mishka83

·
Registered
155 Posts
So far so good and its come at the perfect, im wanting to go planted so this is going to be a great source of information. If you could also put in what went wrong and if you would do anything different. Great thread

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's my 30th birthday today so i've been getting on with this and have now bought everything i need :flrt:

I placed the Exo Terra drainage mesh (45cm x 45cm) over the hydroballs, making sure the edges were slightly turned up to prevent the eco earth from getting underneath.

[URL="[/URL]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I then put loose Eco earth into a bucket in the shower and wet it with warm water and mixed well. It was wet but not soaking. I used the 8.8 litre bag and still have some left over :2thumb:

I put it in on top of the mesh and spread, making the back slightly higher than the front to create a nice perspective. the back is around 3 inches deep, the front around 2.

[URL="[/URL]

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
I like the tool box...the cresties will love it. Perhaps they are called Ratchet and Clank.

Joking aside, Im sure it will look good when complete.Dam Im slow at posting...it was just a tool box when I submitted this originally.
Looking good.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then it was time for planting!!

I decided to use live plants only, i think it looks much nicer, and i think the geckos prefer it as it's closer to their natural habitat :)

The plant list is as follows...

* Ficus Benjamina (Homebase)
* Crassula Argentea (Homebase)
* Calathea (Homebase)
* Dracaena Marginata (Homebase)
* Peperomia (Homebase)
* Syngonium Podophyllum (Dobbies)
* Fittonia (Dobbies)
* Succulent Sp. X2 (Dobbies)

Each plant was gently showered with warm water to remove anything on the leaves, and as much soil as possible was removed before planting. It was as easy as making holes and placing the plants in, then firmly pressing the Eco earth around the bases.

[URL="[/URL]

[URL="[/URL]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I then spend ages bending and twisting 2 Exo Terra Jungle vines (one large & one small) to make a structure that i'm happy with.

I plan to add more of these to create more depth, probably another large and small :)

I found these pretty difficult to work with but they do look very realistic and natural.

[URL="[/URL]

[URL="[/URL]

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.