Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gecko that's been hand fed nothing but bugs his entire life. I don't think he knows how to at CGD.

He is very food aggressive and I saw him throw up a calci worm once, tilt his head up and open his mouth wide and the worms sort of backed up, but then he held them down and ate them.

I think this is because he would eats too fast.

I'm trying to get him used to CGD the breeding formula since its all he would eat. He bites the spoon and tries to 'chew' the formula like it's a bug.
Just now same thing I saw happen with the calci worm happened with the CGD, I think again because he was 'hunting' it instead of licking it and it went down the wrong way.

What can I do?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have a gecko that's been hand fed nothing but bugs his entire life. I don't think he knows how to at CGD.

He is very food aggressive and I saw him throw up a calci worm once, tilt his head up and open his mouth wide and the worms sort of backed up, but then he held them down and ate them.

I think this is because he would eats too fast.

I'm trying to get him used to CGD the breeding formula since its all he would eat. He bites the spoon and tries to 'chew' the formula like it's a bug.

Just now same thing I saw happen with the calci worm happened with the CGD, I think again because he was 'hunting' it instead of licking it and it went down the wrong way.

What can I do?

That’s so wrong, the poor thing! What’s he age and weight wise?
When I had a problem with my cresties not wanting to eat anything but bugs, I was told to not give bugs. Only give them CGD. If they’re hungry they’ll eat it, he’s not going to starve himself and he’ll learn it’s not a bug quickly I’m sure as it’s not going to move about! Another thing would be putting some on the end of his nose. He’ll have to lick it off, then as he’s going that put the food in front of him so he’ll start then licking that also. Works with mine Haha x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s so wrong, the poor thing! What’s he age and weight wise?
When I had a problem with my cresties not wanting to eat anything but bugs, I was told to not give bugs. Only give them CGD. If they’re hungry they’ll eat it, he’s not going to starve himself and he’ll learn it’s not a bug quickly I’m sure as it’s not going to move about! Another thing would be putting some on the end of his nose. He’ll have to lick it off, then as he’s going that put the food in front of him so he’ll start then licking that also. Works with mine Haha x

He is 11 months and 11 grams. :(

I'm to blame. I got him like this and after trying unsuccessfully with CGD when he wouldn't grow. And then I agitated the problem by feeding bugs. :(

I will hand-feed on the nose to encourage licking and go from there. ;(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't they eat insects in the wild though?

They don't eat processed packaged foods lol.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
He is 11 months and 11 grams. :(

I'm to blame. I got him like this and after trying unsuccessfully with CGD when he wouldn't grow. And then I agitated the problem by feeding bugs. :(

I will hand-feed on the nose to encourage licking and go from there. ;(

Oh he is small bless him!
He will eat it if you keep putting it in as he’ll be Hungry,
Yeah try doing that and see what happens! Let us know how he gets on :) x

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
They will raise there heads when swallowing its how they push food down, if its never had cgd then cut the live food out completly until you have seen it eat the cgd consistently, don't hand feed and certainly don't put it on the nose it can end up going into the nostrils and its not needed.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
They will raise there heads when swallowing its how they push food down, if its never had cgd then cut the live food out completly until you have seen it eat the cgd consistently, don't hand feed and certainly don't put it on the nose it can end up going into the nostrils and its not needed.

Well obviously they wouldn’t put it in itsnostrils. I meant tip of nose. As In mouth. But it’s still it’s nose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts