Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my crested gecko about 2 years ago. She started out fine in a 12x12x18 tank (non-bioactive) but as time went on so she out grew it. At about a year and a half ago, i got her a much larger tank and made it bioactive. This is when things started to go down hill. The vivarium plants didnt do too well and she started growing slower. I feed her repashy which she seemed to love but started to eat less and less. I did feed her crickets ,which she loved, but it was only once or twice a week. Cricket supply started going down so i couldnt get as many as before, and now at this point, we only ever get them twice a month. She doesnt seem unhealthy and she is still very active but she isnt growing very fast. Also if anyone has any tips to help my plants grow better, help would be appreciated. Here is some pictures (sorry for the bad quality)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
I have no experience with Cresites so i'll leave that part of the advice to more knowledgeable members of this forum :)

In regards to the plants...

What substrate mix are you using and what light do the plants have? Also, how long did you leave it to establish before putting the gecko in? It is recommended to allow etleest a minimum of 1 month prior to putting an animal in a bioactive enclosure but the longer the better for plant and cuc establishment (leave the enclosure for etleest 3 months now).

Reactions: curious ghost

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree need more info.

I can't see much the pics as to what plants you are using? Def need to know more about the substrate, have you got a drainage layer?

What clean up crew are you using?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Immediate reactions looking at the viv would suggest, to me, that your gecko is likely stressed due to a lack of cover, in the form of plant cover, hides etc. Adjusting that, alongside other advice regarding diet may go a long way to helping.

What is the light you are using? UVB or LED? Brand, etc.
What heating method are you using too?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Also being 2 years old you’re not going to get much growth out of her now. Why do you think she’s stunted? She doesn’t have a tail so she’s going to look smaller than a Crestie with a tail anyway.
But from the 1 image where you can kind of see her she looks healthy, not skinny. So I’d say she’s fine. (Get some up of her out and on your hand) But do add more coverage as said. And crickets twice a week atleast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you some pics of her, and what’s her weight?
She needs repashy or Pangea if recommended every other day and crickets twice a week Ideally also.

Yes i give her repashy. I meant to establish that in the first place. I also do refresh it every 2 days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Immediate reactions looking at the viv would suggest, to me, that your gecko is likely stressed due to a lack of cover, in the form of plant cover, hides etc. Adjusting that, alongside other advice regarding diet may go a long way to helping.

What is the light you are using? UVB or LED? Brand, etc.
What heating method are you using too?
I use LEDs for the lighting. What i was told by the person who sold me the lighting is that it would work fine for the plants. Its a fluval brand. I dont use heating cause it is warm enough where i live.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree need more info.

I can't see much the pics as to what plants you are using? Def need to know more about the substrate, have you got a drainage layer?

What clean up crew are you using?
I use mainly pothos and tried redveins but i wasnt able to keep the redveins alive. I do have a drainage layer. Her substrate is a coco fiber, spagnum moss, charcoal, and orchid bark mixture. I also have a layer of leaf litter on top. I use both isopods and springtails. I also mist her cage twice a day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no experience with Cresites so i'll leave that part of the advice to more knowledgeable members of this forum :)

In regards to the plants...

What substrate mix are you using and what light do the plants have? Also, how long did you leave it to establish before putting the gecko in? It is recommended to allow etleest a minimum of 1 month prior to putting an animal in a bioactive enclosure but the longer the better for plant and cuc establishment (leave the enclosure for etleest 3 months now).
I dont remember how long we let it establish but it was about a month and a half if my memory serves me correct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also sorry for not posting her weight and pics of her, i have school so i wont be able to for a while.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
They’re both good. I only use Pangea and that fig one is actually a fav!
Do you put food in every other day?
Say, put in tonight, take out the tomorrow night, put in the following night and so on?
That’s ok get some later

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
I use LEDs for the lighting. What i was told by the person who sold me the lighting is that it would work fine for the plants. Its a fluval brand. I dont use heating cause it is warm enough where i live.
Sounds like lighting is the problem, generic everyday leds will not work, you need full spectrum lighting.
Best on the market in my opinion are jungle dawn and reptile systems.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: M1chelle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like lighting is the problem, generic everyday leds will not work, you need full spectrum lighting.
Best on the market in my opinion are jungle dawn and reptile systems.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
I dont use a regular led. I use an aquarium plant light. Its fluval brand and it has a lot of different settings so the best settings for plants would be good to know. Ill send a picture of it soon.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't know what you fluval light you use, but I believe they don't give off though UV so that could be a big factor on the plants, also pothos ideally need something to climb.

Do you know your Cresties weight and size? definitely up bugs, I know what you mean about a short supply, my put Cresties had to go without bugs for a while as I couldn't get any, I am know trying to breed my own so hopefully I won't run out.
Definitely add more cover up top.

I think some Cresties are just awkward, one of my Cresties is doing the same thing, she isn't eating as much as she should but she is still healthy and moving around a lot but I'm hoping it's because of eggs.

What is the room temp day and night as they don't eat as much if its cold

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Do you have the details of which Fluval lamp it is that you are using. As an aquarium plant, it is possible its at the wrong settings for terrestrial plants. As Roseanna says, I would also recommend either the Arcadia Jungle Dawns or Reptile Systems New Daws (I'm not sure if Reptile Systems are available in the US yet).

@M1chelle UV overall has negative effects on plants. There are some benefits but in our small, closely contained enclosures UV is generally negative. This is why we need to include quality plant growth lamps, as it helps counteract the damage. It is extremely important for the Gecko though, so @Haloplayz, I would recommend getting a UVB system on there immediately for the Gecko. I would also recommend getting a heat lamp. Even if its only raising the temperature of the basking zone by a few degrees, the creation of a heat gradients, alongside a light gradient, is incredibly important and I doubt your home is reaching basking temperatures for a Crested Gecko. Despite popular belief they are not a 'Room Temp' species.

Reactions: Roseanna

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Any images yet?
A light isn’t going to stunt her growth.
I know Breeders who use tubs and no lights at all, their Cresties aren’t stunted.
My Haise came from Leaping and was kept in a tub. He’s fine but the Floppy tail. Not stunted at all

1 - 19 of 19 Posts