Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
i would say they are easy to keep,mines only a few months old but its tame,just sits in your hand

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
i feed mine on crickets 1 day,crested gecko diet the next which you mix with water til its paste like,and baby food the next day(fruit baby food)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Crested geckos do make great beginner lizards, BUT theyre not as docile as leopard geckos, so if you get a baby it WILL be flighty and jump, as they get older they get more chilled out. I personally prefer them to leos they leos are just a bit dull to me! personal thing though, i do think leos are prettym i just prefer arboreal species i think!

another thing to nite is that like most, if not all gecko species, they can and do loose their tails, BUT they will not grow back. so if you have a problem with tailess geckos then cresteds arnt for you.

To prepare their food i assume you mean the meal replacement powder CGD... to prepare it you just mix the quantity you need with water in the proportions shown on the packet. about 15ml of powder will make about a tablepoon full. Although its a complete diet in itself, its also still fun to give them crickets occasionally so they can hunt, but steer clear of mealworms as their difficult for them to digest.

Only main thing with cresteds is not letting it get much about 80F. They DO not like it hot and will die if consistantly kept above about 85F. you only want them with daytime temps of between73-80F

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I KEEP MINE AT 80 IN THE DAY THEN LET THE TEMP DROP A BIT AT NIGHT

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
any arboreal gecko will have lamellae, thats what the sitcky pads are called. Look at Gargoyle geckos (same as the cresteds but a little bigger and different looking) golden geckos,wall geckos, house geckos, mourning geckos... there are tonnes but most are fairly flighty.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
what species? Cresteds yes they dont grow back, Gargoyles do grow back and i cannot say for the others. All those that do grow them back never look as nice afterwards as the regrown tail wont be the same, normally bulbous and deformed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts