Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have own cresties for a while now and originally I was considering breeding next year. Now before you all jump down my throat keyboard in hand I would just like to say a few things.

Now firstly I like to point out how much their popularity has grown, in only 15 years they have gone from just a few hundred individuals to thousands upon thousands. Now this means that there is a very limited genepool to begin, now as we move on through the years and breeding projects increase to produce the most "desirable morph" I feel that we are further decreasing that genepool, now there are some more considerate breeders out there who never breed and individuals from the same parents, but there are a hell of a lot that do, and unfortunately I feel that they are "polluting" the population of crested geckos in order to make the most money from a pair of so called "high end" morphs.

Even more unfortunate is that they will then sell the hatchlings to an unsuspecting buyer who is unaware of the true genetics of the individual, this individual could then go on to forward/ develop the morph and many generations down the line we start seeing visual problems. Recently I have seen one such deformity become more and more common, that of the extra toe. This may seem harmless enough but what we don't see it any genetic deformities within the gecko, this can be easily controlled by retireing that gecko and only keeping it as a pet, but again this is where the breeder's who want to make a quick quid decide to breed from this individual, causing even further problems further down the line. I have also noticed an increase in birth deformities.

Another thing I ought to mention is the price, originally the price per gecko was very high, more recently the market has become saturated with geckos who are considered "plain" and so go months without going to a new home, with prices coming down to as low as £30, surely this isn't looking too good.

I can't help but wonder, have we gone too far?

This is not a bashing of crestie breeders as I know of many who are very responsible with their breeding projects and genetics of their breeders. I am very passionate about crested gecko's and it is a shame to see this sort of thing becoming more and more common.

I would like to know peoples opinions on this matter :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
ive worked hard for well over a yr now(not bred yet) to get 3 very different females and a completely unrelated male.

I have a olive dalmation, a harlequin dalmation and a yellow dalmation, all from different areas of the country and with parent originating from different countries, yet now im questioning if im going to breed them myself.

The gene pool is clearly limited, but not as much as most think, i hear rumours of big uk leo breeders getting hold of wild caughts and selling them off under the guise of captive bred.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive worked hard for well over a yr now(not bred yet) to get 3 very different females and a completely unrelated male.

I have a olive dalmation, a harlequin dalmation and a yellow dalmation, all from different areas of the country and with parent originating from different countries, yet now im questioning if im going to breed them myself.

The gene pool is clearly limited, but not as much as most think, i hear rumours of big uk leo breeders getting hold of wild caughts and selling them off under the guise of captive bred.
Now you are a prime example of a good breeder :2thumb: but it seems to ba mostly breeders who are in it for a quick quid :(

I've just realised a visible trait which shows how these genes seem to pollute the whole population, dalmation spotting :gasp: now it is very hard to get "clean" cresties (no spots)

Thanks for your imput :no1:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wierd that, check mine out, its got 2 different coulour eyes and spots two
Wow cateracts :gasp: Actually today I saw a thread on another forum about a crestie someone bought, later noticing that one of its ears was "scaled over" like it wasn't there O_0

·
Registered
142 Posts
my £0.02

i have to agree.

IF i get another crestie, i have to say i would love a so-called 'plain' olive, or even olive brindle, or bicolour.

I have a lovely harley male red at the moment, which i got from Wohic, bred from a plain red mother and harley dad if i remember correctly. However, if i sought to get another i would have to say that i would avoid the harley/pinstripe brigade and try and seek out a plain/bicolour/brindle, and if i were to breed at any point, then it would be a necessity for me.

ON that note, anyone who has a taste for the 'plainer' specimins of this lovely reptile, feel free to add me as friend (hehe especially if you happen to have any hatchlings coming up in the future meeting my requirements!!!)

:notworthy:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Wow cateracts :gasp: Actually today I saw a thread on another forum about a crestie someone bought, later noticing that one of its ears was "scaled over" like it wasn't there O_0
she's healthy and came from a very loving home from unrelated perants (i think, not 100%), wierd eyes though, thats why i called it odd ball pmsl.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
lol i selected the leos(i ment cresties, lol) as i like spots, as i typed i did think it was funny, but i bought 13 leos(lol and again), got 5 females.

2 with no spots, i sold one and still have the other but shes too small for breeding next yr.

i got 4 from a guy on here, all harleys, of these 2 had no spots(males so i sold them), 2 had spots 1 male, the other one of my females.

another 4 from someone different on here(100 miles away), the were olive buckskins, 2 females 2 males, only one of the females had spots(i kept her)

of the other 5 only 2 or 3 had spots, i kept the sandstone dalamation.

So i kept what i liked the look of, my male tiger from someone from erac at norwich show has no spots whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I got all my cresties from different places, so far all the babies are healthy as well. No deformities or oddities whatsoever!
Also I'm not selling babies for less than £50. I think some people just want rid of them quick so they push the price down further and further, but it crashes the market. Some people have no patience!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
she's healthy and came from a very loving home from unrelated perants (i think, not 100%), wierd eyes though, thats why i called it odd ball pmsl.
I think I have seen this once before on an american forum :S but at least he has a loving home with you :no1:

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I can see where you are coming from but unfortunately there are always going to be bad breeders with any animal. This has been my first year breeding mine and I am keeping detailed records of each pairing and their babies, which will be passed onto anyone buying one of my babies for future records. Only two of my 7 adults are related (sisters).

The other problem is that many cresties are bought and sold quite frequently eg if they mature and are not the sex wanted. So one crestie could end up going to many different homes in it's lifetime and eventually no way to trace where they originally came from.

Reactions: cjsnakes
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can see where you are coming from but unfortunately there are always going to be bad breeders with any animal. This has been my first year breeding mine and I am keeping detailed records of each pairing and their babies, which will be passed onto anyone buying one of my babies for future records. Only two of my 7 adults are related (sisters).

The other problem is that many cresties are bought and sold quite frequently eg if they mature and are not the sex wanted. So one crestie could end up going to many different homes in it's lifetime and eventually no way to trace where they originally came from.
My Dylan actually passed hands a few times before reaching me (he was only 4 months when I got him), this is his permanent home now, but after some research I found out his origins :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
in the crestie world what is a "normal"?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow that was too hard to read so i'll just say
HA HA you put leo's in a creasty post tee hee.
i bought mine as a normal and it turned out spotty with different colour eye's, can you even buy normals nowadays?
Oh yeah, but hard, purple-vixen has a spotless colony of about 25? (not sure but somewhere around that value) but she spend lots of time hunting spotless cresties) I think she has all the ones in the UK :p

The problem with dal spotting is that it is caused by a dominant allele which is very hard to remove from a bloodline once established :S

saw you vid btw, I actually :rotfl:'d

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Mental isnt it. Im trying to sell a pair of cresties for my friend, and as i was looking through the classifieds, it seemed that every other ad was for cresties. I sold a group this time last year, for a lot of money, less than 5 minutes after posting the ad! Dont people want their cresties anymore? they make such good pets. is this the curse of the bearded dragon again, which was a high end lizard 10, 15 years ago, now you can get adults for under £15, it breaks my heart a bit.
As for inbreeding, that happens a lot with other reptiles, thats how bloodlines are secured, but other reptiles have the advantage of having a much bigger gene pool to come from in the first place.
Id hate to see cresties end up as ugly mutant spastics that nobody wants, theyre just too easy to breed, especially if you want to keep a group of them

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Oh yeah, but hard, purple-vixen has a spotless colony of about 25? (not sure but somewhere around that value) but she spend lots of time hunting spotless cresties) I think she has all the ones in the UK :p

The problem with dal spotting is that it is caused by a dominant allele which is very hard to remove from a bloodline once established :S

saw you vid btw, I actually :rotfl:'d
pmsl, she only has a couple of spots on her but how wierd is it that every cresty is a morph of this or a morph of that, try finding a normal cresty in the classifieds, i don't think there is many, they are all alleged morphs.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Mental isnt it. Im trying to sell a pair of cresties for my friend, and as i was looking through the classifieds, it seemed that every other ad was for cresties. I sold a group this time last year, for a lot of money, less than 5 minutes after posting the ad! Dont people want their cresties anymore? they make such good pets. is this the curse of the bearded dragon again, which was a high end lizard 10, 15 years ago, now you can get adults for under £15, it breaks my heart a bit.
As for inbreeding, that happens a lot with other reptiles, thats how bloodlines are secured, but other reptiles have the advantage of having a much bigger gene pool to come from in the first place.
Id hate to see cresties end up as ugly mutant spastics that nobody wants, theyre just too easy to breed, especially if you want to keep a group of them
Tokays are the way forward, they are for elite owners as most see the "aggressive" in the care sheet and forget about em, i have loads of em and my collection is ever expanding, i love tokays they are so underated.

SORRY CHRIS BACK TO CRESTY'S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pmsl, she only has a couple of spots on her but how wierd is it that every cresty is a morph of this or a morph of that, try finding a normal cresty in the classifieds, i don't think there is many, they are all alleged morphs.
It's also because there is no market for them, people have to sell them off dirty cheap, as people are more interested in the most expensive morph they can afford

1 - 20 of 61 Posts