Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I need some advice..

I have java wood in most of my cresties tanks, and tbh a few of them are going a little black in a few places, being a worrier and reading this can be harmful have washed it off but it seems stained so I want to remove them and bleach them, cook them and varnish them.

So, I have been advised it's Yacht Varnish, and I wanted to check with the RFUK posse...

I want to do this this week, so any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Jac x

G

·
yacht varnish is ok, as long as you air it it should be fine but make sure there is no smell left on it (can take quite up to a month)

also it can go slightly yellow under UV light (shouldn't be too much of a problem with java wood :lol2:)

Hope this helps

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yacht varnish is ok, as long as you air it it should be fine but make sure there is no smell left on it (can take quite up to a month)

also it can go slightly yellow under UV light (shouldn't be too much of a problem with java wood :lol2:)

Hope this helps

Chris
That does, I just didn't want to buy random varnish for it to have toxins, like silicone.

I will be thoroughly cleaning and sanding it before varnishing, and then leaving to dry and air for a week or two :)

Thanks dude x

G

·
That does, I just didn't want to buy random varnish for it to have toxins, like silicone.

I will be thoroughly cleaning and sanding it before varnishing, and then leaving to dry and air for a week or two :)

Thanks dude x
You can also use epoxy, or even pond sealant, I personally haven't used these but I've heard they are good, and pond sealant is 100% waterproof :2thumb:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ya safe with Yacht varnish, just make sure that the wood is dust dry and after giving the wood a couple of coats let it dry 100%.​
Rub over the varnished wood with fine sandpaper or wirewool to give it a key then give another final varnish and again let it dry out 100% before putting it back in the viv :2thumb:

Don't varnish in the same room as the vivs/reptiles.

WILKO'S sell a good Yacht Varnish that is IDEAL for the job, and its much cheaper too.

A QUICK TIP... If varnishing something all over such as branches (that need varnish all over them).

Screw a small curtain hook in one end of the object, tie some string to the curtain hook and hang from a doorway or garage etc allowing it to hand freely.

This allows ya to varnish everywhere all at once plus its easier to varnish.

After its dried just take out the curtain hook and its ready to use. :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can also use epoxy, or even pond sealant, I personally haven't used these but I've heard they are good, and pond sealant is 100% waterproof :2thumb:
Aw ok :)

Ya safe with Yacht varnish, just make sure that the wood is dust dry and after giving the wood a couple of coats let it dry 100%.
Rub over the varnished wood with fine sandpaper or wirewool to give it a key then give another final varnish and again let it dry out 100% before putting it back in the viv :2thumb:

Don't varnish in the same room as the vivs/reptiles.
Ah that's brilliant! Thanks so much :)

I will be going to wilkos to get them 29p terracotta pots, i have some in other vivs, and they love them upside down... :) SO means I can have a few weeks to do this with.

I will be varnishing them outside, and they will be drying in the dining room... I take it the smell is very bad?

Thanks so much for your help, that's awesome!

Wilkos tomorrow then :whistling2: x

G

·
Aw ok :)

Ah that's brilliant! Thanks so much :)

I will be going to wilkos to get them 29p terracotta pots, i have some in other vivs, and they love them upside down... :) SO means I can have a few weeks to do this with.

I will be varnishing them outside, and they will be drying in the dining room... I take it the smell is very bad?

Thanks so much for your help, that's awesome!

Wilkos tomorrow then :whistling2: x
nasty nasty smell, like gloss paint.... bleugh

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yep ya will be seeing :eek:mg: Pink spotted VW's :eek:mg: by the time ya done smelling the fumes (its ace :lol2:)

Ya will need some TURPENTINE to clean ya brushes with too, sorry forgot that bit.

If ya lived closer I would have given ya the tin of varnish I use.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I really wouldnt bother either change the wood or just stick with it, why ontroduce a chemical which will gradually break down and peel which can then be ingested, they have survived countless years on wood but they make crap sailors!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yep ya will be seeing :eek:mg: Pink spotted VW's :eek:mg: by the time ya done smelling the fumes (its ace :lol2:)

Ya will need some TURPENTINE to clean ya brushes with too, sorry forgot that bit.

If ya lived closer I would have given ya the tin of varnish I use.
See them every day but there again I restore them as a living :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I really wouldnt bother either change the wood or just stick with it, why ontroduce a chemical which will gradually break down and peel which can then be ingested, they have survived countless years on wood but they make crap sailors!
:gasp: Yacht varnish is designed 'not to break down' if done correctly it'll out last the reptiles!!! :whistling2:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
You've obviously never sailed then its tougher than normal varnish but will still break down really can't see the point in covering natural wood which is harmless with soething which could be and also making surface potentially more slippery which isn't good when they are in shed

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Java wood is bloody expensive Nic, and to be honest, maybe I should look up the mould on it as I am sure I read about someones Beardie inhaling the black stuff and becoming very ill...

BUT I do not know what type the black mould is.

Also, they do sail, I have seen them :whistling2:

:gasp: Yacht varnish is designed 'not to break down' if done correctly it'll out last the reptiles!!! :whistling2:
I would hope so! If I am going to spend £8 on a tin and apply two-three coats after cleaning and bleaching etc and 3 weeks to dry/air..

You've obviously never sailed then its tougher than normal varnish but will still break down really can't see the point in covering natural wood which is harmless with soething which could be and also making surface potentially more slippery which isn't good when they are in shed
I understand this, but in the wild the air ventilation is better so I am assuming the trees don't tend to rot as quick..

How do you know it's harmless? Like I said I have no idea what type it is, just some black spotting which rubs off, and tbh, my cresties have little hides, terracotta pots, bits of bark and a water bowl, a couple never even had a terracotta pot before I got Java wood and I have never seen them have a problem with shedding.

So you're suggesting I leave it? Should I remove the wood, clean/sand it down and put it back?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Its up to you at end of day Jac personally I'd just scrub in anti bac and wash off

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its up to you at end of day Jac personally I'd just scrub in anti bac and wash off
Fair enough, I just thought it would look ok.

Will get some pics of the mould up in a bit.

Cheers for all the help guys :)

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you baked the wood yet. 200 degrees in the oven for 15 mins should kill the mould!
Sorry not read the whole thread
Hmm, could try that too, but then wouldn't it just go back to being mouldy after another month?

This is my point really, it's not laziness, it's the health of my lizards...

Thanks for that, I will try that! Er what Gas Mark is that? :blush:

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you are going to yacht varnish then you should consider baking first to ensure any mank is removed from inside the wood first.
And as for the peeling comment, it's varnish....for yachts! It's designed for boats that stay in water for very long periods of time. I'm sure they wouldn't sell a product if they weren't sure about its reliability and they definately wouldn't sell a product if everyone went back for a refund after a few weeks because their boats are rotten. Rant over!

Just make sure you leave your wood for a few weeks to air.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
As someone said, yatch varnish if applied correctly will last years. Yes it can flake and peel, but using it on a piece of wood doesn't compare to using it on a boat. For a start a boat is open to the elements, sun, wind, salt water etc etc. Its also being banged, scratched, stood on etc etc.
In a viv situation it will be fine:2thumb:

P.S. I am a qualified Royal yatching Association Dinghy sailing instructor, Power boat instructor, Safety boat lvl 2 officer and an assistant wind surfing instructor:whistling2:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
As someone said, yatch varnish if applied correctly will last years. Yes it can flake and peel, but using it on a piece of wood doesn't compare to using it on a boat. For a start a boat is open to the elements, sun, wind, salt water etc etc. Its also being banged, scratched, stood on etc etc.
In a viv situation it will be fine:2thumb:

P.S. I am a qualified Royal yatching Association Dinghy sailing instructor, Power boat instructor, Safety boat lvl 2 officer and an assistant wind surfing instructor:whistling2:
Wow your super qualified to varnish wood then LMFAO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts