Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up a pair of crested gecko's tonight :D ive read up on basic care
If anyone has any advise to give me i would love to hear from you

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Great news! what morphs are they? do you know how old they are or if they have bred before etc? Also wat are they being fed and how often? All v.important questions (well, except morph!)

I dont know how much reading up you've done but basically, must be at leaast 35gm before you can put male and female together. No more than 1 male per viv. No hotter than 85F maximum or they'll go into hyperthermic shock and can die. Keep it between 75 and 80F with a drop of 5-10 degrees at night and you'll be fine. You'll want to get them feeding on CGD (Crested Gecko diet) which is a meal replacement powder you mix with water as soon as possible. If you are using this here is no chance of over or under supplementing them. You can also feed crickets in addition to the CGD but its MUCH better than babyfood which has tonnes of sugar and additives in.

Nice sized tall enclosure, you'll want about 30gallons for that pair to be happy although 20gal is the very minumum if you're pushed for space. Lots of climbing stuff and hiding spots. and dont handlr them too much for the 1st week, they'll aclimatising and stressed.

Good luck post pics! I picked up 4 last week after a year of researching and looking for the right ones! Theyre great!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok not sure about morph they are both 14 month old they have been fed on crickets and meal worms and yes they have bred before

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got them after 5 mins of it being in the viv one off there tails just dropped off is this normal could it be the stress of being moved ?

·
Registered
557 Posts
just got them after 5 mins of it being in the viv one off there tails just dropped off is this normal could it be the stress of being moved ?
Sorry to hear that, most likely due to the stress of a new home/viv and move.

In my opinion I would separate the crestie who has dropped the tail to reduce more stress. Keep on kitchen towel or similar to avoid anything that could make the wound worse such as loose substrate etc.

Have you got any tamodine??.....This is good for cleaning wounds.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Thats a shame, unfortunatly they do not grow back at all, but s/he'll do fine without it. Shouldnt need to put anything on it but keep aneye onit for infection. I always put all new arrivals, and babies on kitchen towel for the 1st month or so anyway for quarantine so thats especially important now.

You need to weigh them, to make sure the female is over 35gm (adust a couple of grams for the tail is its the female that lost it) and the male should really be over 30gm but thats not SO important, just good practise. If shes not over 35gm then shes been bred too young and you'll need to let her gain weight before letting the male mate with her again. I wish you the best of luck! post some photos and ill tell you what morphs you have!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks i'll try to post some pics later if i can hard to see them long enough to take one (always hiding) and i don't want to get them out yet

·
Registered
1 Posts
french words

hey there,be nice with me about my way of speaking englishcause i'm french.
i'm sorry for you but don't worry take care of the wounds and you will see that they can even live withou their tail.its a shame but it's life,ifthey have got too much stress it's like that,i konow very well the matter cause i've got 2 of thesebeautiful creatures one female and a male and they both lost their tail.the most terrible its when they lose their tail in your hand and it happened to me unfortunately.
now they are together and the male,wanting to reproduce,just did't let my female alone and now she doesn't eat and seems like kate moss,such a shame.is someone has a solution to recommend me please cntact me.
o i forgot,my name is ginko and co cause one my crested is called ginko,the male,my female is called kumiko she's a dalmatian and ginko a green and yellow skined crested.
i have got also two leopards gecko,sakura and shiro.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
now she doesn't eat and seems like kate moss
He he i like you already!:welcome1:

How long has she not been eating for? If she is losing weight then you need to find out why she stopped and solve the problem. What do you feed them? - could she be bored?
could she be stressed because of the male? if so you may need to separate them?
how old atre they? if shes under 14months old then she isnt old enough to breed and that could be why she's stressed if the male keeps trying
If she is losing weight then you could try different foods, waxworms, phoenix worms, locusts, crickets, make your own babyfood from mushed up non-citrus fruit.
If she is really loosing alot of weight get her to a vet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts