Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site and first time owner of a geko.
We've had geko now for nearly 2 months and not growing in size or weight...is this normal?
When we got it it weighed 4grams, now 3gram.
Also can you purchase any salt stones for it to kick?

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,634 Posts
Welcome to RFUK
As above - plus do you provide any heat - what are the temperatures in the vivarium?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bought from petshop (garden centre)
Heat & humidity are correct according to the temperature & humidity gauge. Using repashy complete feed.
Was about a month old when we purchased. Spray vivarium every day to keep humidity correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've had it 2 months, is it old enough for live feed yet (or even big enough?) We did try some small insects (hand feed( the other wk but wasn't interested. What would be the best way? Put them in vivarium on evening (we've got the calcium to coat them) or try again hand feed? We hand feed fruit and the complete feed to make sure it's getting food.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Ok so, I start feeding insects at a 2 days-a week old.
So yes fine to feed them, should be on them already.
I put them in the enclosure, not many just a few.
Also do not hand feed! They will rely on you always for food and won’t eat for themselves, I know of people with adult cresties who won’t eat unless hand fed and it’s an issue! I got a female last year who was hand fed and took me a while to get her to eat on her own. So don’t hand feed, no one feeds them in the wild so there’s no need. They also will eat at random times of the night. So put food inside the viv, and take out the next evening. It gives him/her all night to eat in peace when it wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so, I feed insects at a week old.
So yes fine to feed them, should be on them already.
I put them in the enclosure, not many just a few.
Also do not hand feed! They will rely on you always for food and won’t eat for themselves, I know of people with adult cresties who won’t eat unless hand fed and it’s an issue! I got a female last year who was hand fed and took me a while to get her to eat on her own. So don’t hand feed, no one feeds them in the wild so there’s no need. They also will eat at random times of the night. So put food inside the viv, and take out the next evening. It gives him/her all night to eat in peace when it wants.

Thanks. We'll get some insects and put them in before bed. Should we still put them in fridge to slow them down?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
No need to do that either. She/he will be able to catch them fine. I’ve fed Crickets to Cresties that are 2 days old. Never had an issue
Hopefully he/she enjoys them and starts growing well for you!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Heat & humidity are correct according to the temperature & humidity gauge. Using repashy complete feed.
Was about a month old when we purchased. Spray vivarium every day to keep humidity correct.
When you say "temperature & humidity gauge" is this one of the stick on dial ones? If so they are notoriously inaccurate.
Also, how are you heating the enclosure and what temperature are you providing?

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,634 Posts
When you say "temperature & humidity gauge" is this one of the stick on dial ones? If so they are notoriously inaccurate.
Also, how are you heating the enclosure and what temperature are you providing?
The reason Ian and I ask about heating is that it used to be believed that cresties were kept at room temperature - it may be that the pet shop told you that or there are many old care sheets online. They do need a temperature gradient in the vivarium. You possibly have this - in which case great - but we don't know because all you have said is the temperature / humidity are correct. Temps that are too low will suppress appetite and metabolism,

Reactions: ian14

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What temps are you keeping at as a lot of advice from stores and online is old and outdated, for a baby you want to aim for an ambient of 78f through the day and a drop at night to high 60's/low 70's is fine, alongside the cgd offer live food twice a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Temp is low 70 (that's the coolest it gets) but this is going by the stick on thermometer and humidity around the same... again with a stick on hygrometer. Would a heat Matt be beneficial I these temperatures?

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Temp is low 70 (that's the coolest it gets) but this is going by the stick on thermometer and humidity around the same... again with a stick on hygrometer. Would a heat Matt be beneficial I these temperatures?
No.
A heat mat doesn't heat the air so won't raise the ambient temperature.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts