Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have been looking to get a lizard. I have an old tropical fish tank that i am going to use, and i am looking to get a crested gecko. i will only buy a thermostat, and a coloured heat lamp, for night viewing. Doyou think i should get a crested gecko, or a gargoyle gecko. My thoughts are, i will see the gargoyle more, but when i am around, mainly in the evening, he will be sleeping won't he??? thats why i am thinkinhg of a crested gecko i will see it in the evening. do gargoyle geckos tails grow back??? of are they like the crested, where they wont regenerate. Do they drop their tails really easily?? please help, i am a n00b

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I think both are nocturnal Both require very similar set-ups anyway so I'd just go with what one you like best....

As for tail dropping most geckos will grow there tails back fine but they will never be exactly the same as before! They don't particularly drop there tails very easily though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i have been reading caresheets, and it turns out that gargoyles are diurnal, ands they can re generate tails, but cresteds are nocturnal and they can't get their tails back. i think i will go for the cresteds, they are so nice, ill just watch out when i handle him to mkae sure he doesn't drop his tail

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
its takes a very stressful experience to make a gecko drop its tail, i wouldnt worry so much.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Think you'll find that most geckos are diurnal to be honest.... Even if one caresheet says nocturnal they'll probably mean diurnal, they've just never heard of the term

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cresties are nocturnal. My youngster won't come even come out with my bedroom lamp on! Has to be pitch black! But he's happy to be handled in the evening. By the way, they're not all that shy. And yeah, it takes a lot to make them drop their tails, but it's best to be very aware that it can happen. Cresties have wonderful characters and are great pets to keep. Just remember that they are arboreal so need plants, jungle vine for climbing and plenty of places to hide and a tall viv rather than a lon, deep one. 2 ft high is enough for an adult, but more is better if poss. Plastic plants are just as good as live. I have plastic as they are easy to clean.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Actually, i think you'll find most geckos are nocturnal, the ones people commonly keep anyway. With the exception of day geckos. Cresteds and Gargoyles are DEFINATLY nocturnal. i just asked some friends who keep and breed them. Thats why UV is not needed unlike day geckos which require it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I was just wondering how big is this "fish tank" you would need something high more than long for a crestie not sure a fish tank would be a suitable type of tank... :?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the tank is 75cml by 40c, high by 30cm deep. i will use these while it is still young, and when i get more money, i will get somesort of exoterra when it needs one. but this is ok for now, im sure of it. btw all im getting equipment wise, is a thermostat (any ideas for a good one) and i night view heat lamp. i am thinking to have a carpet on the bottom, and on one side, i will have a second level with some other substrate, maybe coconut bark, or peat something like that. Also lots of fake plants and ecor for climbing. Sound Good?????

·
Registered
13 Posts
crested

i would get a crested gecko there a lot easier to look after and they need a higher tank than a fish tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts