Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi how big would a viv need to be to have 2 crested geckos. also would a heat mat be ok for a heat source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I'm just a newbie myself but this is what i've learnt.

Cresties are okay at room temperature, but you can add a heat lamp if you want. For example, I keep mine on all the time, and my tank stays at about 24 degrees. =]]

the 45 x 45 x 60 Exo-terra, is a great viv for two or three adult cresties IMO :)

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would 45x45x45 be big enough for 2.ARE YOU SURE THEY DONT NEED ANY HEAT????????
just put them in a tank they be ok?

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have read they need heat source

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
45X45X45 is good for one, 45X45X60tall is good for 2 or 3 maybe. As for heating, i have a small heatmat, but as long as you have a thermometer to make sure they dont drop you'll be fine at room temp.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cresties shouldn't be kept any warmer than 85f/29C, and that is too warm really. They get stressed at high temps. 80F/26C is best. So depending on what your room temp is, it may be ok. Most caresheets tell you that you will fail with cresty keeping by keeping them too warm rather than too cool.

Look at www.captivebred.co.uk as there is a fab caresheet on there for cresties. :)

Put a thermometer in an area in your room where you plan to have the cresty and see what temps it gets to during the day. 75F/24c is perfect for cresties, and no more than 80F/26C.

·
Registered
234 Posts
what substrate do you guys use in your cresteds' vivs?

ive read peat is a suitable substrate, in which you can plant real plants.
or moss, to maintain the humidity?

i dont really want to use reptile carpet or paper towels; as i am after a 'real' looking viv set up.

thanks

edit: would it be possible to feed the geckos lobster roaches too??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts