Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday morning we finally brought Norbert home. He's a 7 month old crested gecko who was very friendly and lively when I was first introduced to him in the shop.

Although I have done extensive research I still have a couple if questions I was hoping you could help with.

First we haven't handled him yet since we got him as we wanted to give him time to settle but I'd like to start handling him for health checks,weighing etc. Is it best to do so in the morning/evening when they're naturally more active?

Second he doesn't seem to eat much but I take it that's normal while he settles. I've found several poos and I've seen him drink on one occasion so that's ok, right?

Last I literally haven't seen him in 2 days. He hides in his cave on the ground constantly and I can't even spot him along the edges inside. Obviously as he's so new I don't know him that we'll yet and therefore can't help but worry. As I mentioned he was quite friendly and curious in the shop so his distant hiding can't help but worry me. The only way I would be able to check on him would be to remove the cave but I don't want to stress him out. Do I just leave him? How do I get him out to check him?

I am probably overly nervous but as I said he's my first beasty ***128525;

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,609 Posts
Hi - welcome to the forum and congrats on your new little'un. As you are obviously aware it will take some time for him to settle in and become comfortable in his new surroundings. I would forget about health checks and weighing for at least a couple of weeks. I'm sure you have done your research and his enclosure is suitable. As you have found some poos that is a good sign.
My advice would be to just leave him be for now - no handling him until he stops hiding all the time. He will venture out as he feels more safe. Don't worry if he doesn't feed for a week or two - as long as he is healthy this will not harm.
You might want to run your enclosure conditions by us just to double check - temperatures, uv, humidity, viv type / size, food offered.
The one thing I will say is that the more "cover" in the way of plants, covering the outside of the viv etc. you provide the more secure he will feel and so the more often he will see him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer!
He's in an exo terra with uv lamp on top which is on timer 7am to 7pm. Viv size is 30x30x45.
He has a heat pad on the side of the tank by one of his plants.
He's misted lightly in the morning and the again in the evening (more in the evening). I don't measure humidity or temperature as I was advised not to as long as our house is between 28-23 degrees and he's misted and given fresh water regularly.
He's fed the crestie powder mix bought from the reptile centre, but I'm not sure of name though. I was told not to give him nything else like live foid or fruit as he didn't need it.
He did come out last night to poke around which was nice. Today I noticed he's buried himself completely in the bottom of the tank and has spend all day there so far.
The tank is set up with the eco terra bamboo kit and 2 artificial plants so I reckon one of the reasons he's buried himself is lack of places to hide higher up in the tank. Could it also have to do with temp/humidity?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts