Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i need some help i've had my crestie for about nearly 2 months and he's started to eatless (1 cric or so a day and he dosent really eat mashed up fruit (bananas) he wont eat cgd or waxworms or locusts either. previous owner youst to feed him in his viv but it was a small viv and when i bought him i moved him in to a 18x18x18 exo terra so i started to feed him in a small kritter keeper and he has started to eat less and less what should i do??
should i start to feed him in his viv ? will he find his food ok? and in past experences ive found that crix just start to eat the polystirene (bad spelling) at the back of the viv ?
thanks
chris

·
Registered
524 Posts
i think hed feel more comfortable beinf fed in the viv as thats his terortry.. and will feel safer leting his guard down in the viv than in an open area.. hope this helps: victory:

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
maybe you could try some CGD (crestedgeckodiet). also small portions of strained baby food will help if he starts to lose weight. is it too warm/cold? have you noticed any other changes in him? do you spray him often? it could be his stressed from the changes and needs time to adjust. good luck.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
It is odd that its happening now because in general all my Rhacs eat alot more in the summer, and theyve started clearing their dishes again the last few weeks.

When you say he wont eat CGD, what methods have you tried to get him to eat it? have you tried hand feeding to get him used to it? have you tried mixing some into the banana? I also find that it takes longer to convert them to CGD while you're feeding crix too, because theyre stomach capacity is small and the crix fill them up so much they wont bother trying the CGD if theyre not hungry. so maybe stop feeding crix while you try CGD? Crickets on their own wont really provide him with a good diet, because in the wild they eat alot of fruit. I have read that their wild diet consists of alot of figs, so you could experiment with different non citrus fruits, including figs to see what other fruits he likes.

As for the crickets, I had the same dilema with my hatchlings. I start offering crickets once 3 months old, but i like to keep their faunariums quite full of climbing and hiding things, and so i noticed that they found it hard to catch the crickets in their homes with all the decor. However some seemed to dislike the move to a separate tub for feeding and not eat (but others would be fine). I now have them all eating from my fingers, which eliminates all the problems! as i know what they eat, and when. Try offering crickets from your fingertips, in his viv and just see what he does. Let the antenna wave in his face a little to entice him, and sometimes they even get annoyed at the antenna and snap at it, voila they realise its food! it takes time, they have to trust you and associate you with food, which isnt over night, but i would feed in viv for now. And really give it a good go trying to convert to CGD, it just saves alot of the worrying about if theyre catching the crickets ok if you know theres something substantial available in the viv for him to eat. Theres nothing to stop you feeding crickets and CGD, but when he goes off crickets periodically its great to have something you can feed as a staple that you know is good for him.

Oh and whats your supplementation regime?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

hey thanks everyone ! i'll try all the tips and feed him in his viv and will put cgd in banana as i know he eat that but only when i hand feed him as he wont feed from a dish in his viv. and will try hand feed him crix
um he has nutrobal dusted crix and i somtimes mix it in with bananas

there are no other changes to his behaviour he still love coming out of his viv and very freindly and active
all temps are very good and hes missted every night

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
but only when i hand feed him as he wont feed from a dish in his viv
where do you place the dish? i have found that some geckos prefer to eat up high, so i mount a dish holder on the wall of the viv....it often helps a lot. Hand feeding is good, but not long term as it is pretty time consuming! i'd def try and hand feed the CGD as much as possible while he's off crickets though, until you can get him feeding from a dish. Try hand feeding pure CGD and just see... pop a blob on his nose and watch him lick it off, then repeat... and then offer some in a syringe and see if he goes for it. I have found they do take to it pretty quickly with some perseverence.

I'm planning on making some more moutable dish holders soon, probably out of oven baked clay polymer, painted and varnished. Theyll fit a full size jar lid, but you can obviously put smaller in it. you can either silicone them onto the viv wall, which then just comes off with a sharp knife when you dont want it anymore, or i might try strong magnets again, but the exoterra glass is pretty thick so it gets expensive with all the magnets you need

1 - 6 of 6 Posts