Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had someone call me up yesterday with a crestie that hge got from a shop. She is missing the end of her tail but it is all healed up now. they had been feeding her on crickets and that is it. They dusted in Nutrobal. she doesnt seem to have any energy and wont move around. She has fallen down a couple of times, not from a height, but doesnt seem to have the energy to hold onto anything.

She will not eat anything and wont lick her ips either. i have tried giving her crestie food, live food, baby food, egg white, liquid calcium and Avipro plus. None of it will be eaten. If she gets any in her mouth, she shudders and spits it all back out.

The viv is at the right temperature for her but I cannot understand why she has gone down hill so fast. He got her on Sunday.

if anyone can help, that would be great, I have never had anything like this happen to any of mine!!!!

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
A veterinarian would be the best choice.

How old is the crestie in question?

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
It could be a number of things. You need to be careful offering a new, poorly crestie avipro and calcium without vet advice, they can be just as harmful as helpful.

She needs a vet. Ring the shop too.

Good luck and let us know how the appointment goes.

Jac

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's hard to say

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your help. I have passed on the information and im just waiting to hear back from him as to how the vet visit went. She is apaerntly 6 months old, but she looks a bit big to me to be 6 months, but then if she has only been eating live, its possible.

I will let you know as soon as I hear back from him

·
Registered
603 Posts
Crestys do just fine off live food, my first cresty Freddy weighed 29grams when i got him a year old off CGD in pet shop and now a year later on live food weighs 34grams and very healthy. My baby cresty has been on live food for a year now aswell, he is now a juvinile weighing 30 grams and very lively and healthy, eats like a pig. CGD is not essential to be honest, works for me. Of course you must dust everything with d3 (calcium)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My little crestie had the same problem a few weeks back. She started sleeping on the floor during day and night and was really sluggish and dis-interested. We took het to the vet who checked her over and suggested a few things, including UV. We tried the UV and she picked up within 24 hours and is now right as rain. Think it coincided with the shorter darker days so now she gets 12 hours UV each day. The other factor to consider is shedding if she's list her stickiness. Never any harm in speaking to a vet though. Hope she's okay!

By the way, look for the post on UV lighting on Crested Geckos • Portal which gives a lot of sciency info on how behaviour is effected.

Hope your crestie is back to normal soon!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Cut out all stressful related attempts at force feeding, make sure you spray at night time (Avoid direct spraying) try hand feeding with crested gecko diet after a few days of leaving alone and see how thing's go, obv recommended vet visits.

Feeding soley on live is not recommended for crested gecko's, why? because crested gecko diet (repashy superfoods) is taking the guess work out of thing's and has the right ratio's of needed nutrients.

UVA/UVB can be benifical in the initial getting them back on there feet

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello everyone. Thnak you for all oyur help. Unfortunately, I had a call on Sunday to say that she was taken to the vets for him to say she was too weak and had to be put to sleep.

RIP little girl

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
Oh no!!! Thats so sad.

Do they know what was wrong with her?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He took her back to the shop and they took her to the vets. The feedback he had from her was that she was very weak and stress had caused it all. I dont believe that though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts