Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that 36"lx18"tx15"w tank i've got. Wasgonna use it for whites tree frogs. Untill i saw some cresties at the shop. They're gorgeous hings! In a tank of that size, how many culd be kept happily in there? Whats the best male:female ratio? and would they breed on they're own in there?

Thanks in advance

MoK

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
18inches height is that?
You could only have one adult in a viv of that size. They need more height.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd say about 4 cresteds could quite happily live in that.

Height is an advantage but it's not really crucial to their health but it is nicer to have a taller viv. 18" tall is as low as i'd go. Just ensure you have plenty of climbing vines preferbly touching from the bottom of the viv to the top. you can do this best by bending them into a spiral/spring shape with enough tension so it's wedged.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i reckon its meant as 36 inches long , 18 tall and wide...being depth is 15 right?
thats nearly 40 gallons so thats usually considered ok for what? 2 adults?
how long do cresties take to reach adult hood?

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I would say 1-2 adults max, and it's not a dimension that's going to let you see them to the best of their ability. I really think the larger arboreal exo terras are best!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would a 36"lx36"tX24"d be alright? Seems a bit big for such small lizards. Would they find food alright in a viv that big?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
that would be big enough for a large group.
as its like 135 gallons, a huge difference.
they would find the crestie gecko diet easy enough lol, and i reckon they would find the live food fine too.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
that siuze viv would be great, as long as you decorate it well with lots of hiding spots they love space, theyre arboreal animals and love to jump, up to 2ft or so in the wild so they certainly enjoy the space

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been doing some measuring and i cant actually get a 36"tall viv in the gap. Its gonna have to be a 24".

So a 36"lx24"tx12"d

How many cresties in there?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
if you can increase the depth to 18" then you'll have a REALLY nice viv. if you do that then i'd say 4-5 adults in that size (only 1 male obviously and he'd still need removing from the ladies for a few months a year to rest him). Otherwise with the dimensions you have now if you decorate it well you could have 3 in there i would say.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i know about this

ive gt cresties myself i think you could put 3 cresties in their happily but no more and the best ratio is 2 girls to 1 boy hope this helps

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
lol 'dude' you dont need to keep putting that you know things in your message title! lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i did mean 24"d I'd want a lot of space for em cos they are so active. The male would need what sort enclosure on his own? and how often for how long?

Thx

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
so what would the dimensions be again?

theyre not that active but they do like space yes. height is important but they do like spending time on the ground, and they love live plants as they give them lots of places to coil up and hide in the day.

if you keep the male in with the females all year round, they dont get a chance to rest from breeding and can often get problems such as losing weight, nutrient deficiencies and the eggs produced often have a lower hatch rate. Therefore you need to 'cool' them for 3-4 months a year (usually over winter) to let them build up fat reserves again and get nice and heatlhy ready for the next season. Some people just lower the viv temps by a few degrees and they stop breeding on their own, but you can often not be sure they've stopped and so most people remove the male and put him in a separate viv for the 3-4 months. I have my male in a 20gallon viv in my bedroom at the moment, away from his ladies and he'll stay there till february, when he'll go back in with them. he's already gained 4g after being separated a month. the separation can be as important for the male as the females as the males often 'forget' to eat as theyre more preoccupied with other things!! hehe

my male set up is just a simple set up with hidy spots and paper towel floor. its not a permanent viv so its not fully planted like all my others and he's great in there

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
just to add, i always separate the males from any groups i buy straight away for a few months because you can never be sure when the last time they were rested was. so if you're planning on buying an established group then i'd plan to split the male off asap in a separate viv.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it'd be 36"lx24"tx24"d
How many would fit in there?

If the GF and money allow it i might be able to go 35"lx36"tx24"d

How many would go into taht. if the difference is susbantial i could persuade the mrs to have it haha.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
well i'd say 5-6 in the top option, and maybe 7 in the second. to be honest though, buying 6 female cresties and 1 male is going to set you back alot more than the viv!!!!!! plus the time to find them. remember theyre not definatly sexable till 6 months ish, and then only by experienced people with a loope. then you cant keep them with a male till their 35g which can be 12-15 months so if you buy young females you'll have to wait to buy the male till your females are up to size or house him separate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts