Reptile Forums banner

Crestie Keeping

334 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lambo187 
#1 ·
Hi dudes and dudettes,

Hope you are all having an awesome valentines day.

Anyway...to the point....I am looking into getting some cresties as I think they are fascinating. I have read lots of care sheets an advice but alot of it seems conflicting. Do they need a heat source or not? What is the best size and style of viv for them and can you keep more than one together?

I want to know as much as I can before I get some so....any advice (even if it doesn't answer my questions) would be great thanks. :D:2thumb:

#2 ·
Hiya, whilst I claim to be no expert I will let you know what works for us.

We keep our Cresties in the Exo Terra Terrariums, when they are young we use the 30x30x45 and then when they get bigger either the 45 cube or the 45x45x60 but I think this is personal preference really. Although if you get a very small baby a faunarium may be better to start wth.

With regard to temps we normally keep them at about 75 during the day and about 63-65 overnight. We are quite lucky and do not require any form of heat source to acheive this, so it really depends on the temps in your house. if you do have low temps in your house you should be able to maintain these temps by using a heat mat.

I can't answer your question about keeping Cresties together as we have always kept all our animals seperately but I do know that most species of lizards, geckos etc are solitary animals and keeping more than one in the same enlcosure could lead to various problems and I would imagine this could be the same for Cresties.

As I said I am no expert at all but I hope I have helped a little bit :)

#3 ·
Well, there are a lot of care sheets and info, but here is a very basic description of how I keep a healthy adult:

- 45x45x45 exo with cork bark "shelves" siliconed in
- Eco earth substrate
- 1 bowl for live food (and one for cgd)
- 1 bowl always with fresh water
- lots of leafy plants and a few vine things
- Fed every 3rd day (CGD, CGD then Bugs and so on..)
- I feed Clarks or Repashy with either fresh blended fruit (raid the cheap shelf at Tesco for mangos, papaya, pears, blueberries, strawberries) or warm water
- Every 3rd feed is bugs here, dust them with pure calcium 2 feeds, then nutrobal/ICB on the 3rd feed.
- Spray bottle from Wilkos (we have posh hozelock ones lol) and spray once a day, don't soak the viv though
- Our room sits at around 20-22C in the day, and drops to 16-17C at night. This is fine. Some use a heatmat so they have a heat source to go to, especially if they have a cool house, but this will not heat the ambient, just a small area of glass, so you can use a bulb, a boring normal cheap energy bulb, suspended above the mesh if you need to but make sure the crestie cannot burn it's feets or nose!! Make sure a stat is used and the temps don't exceed 85F.

I think that's about a basic set of information for you, anything else, please just shout!

Jac :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I am definitely going to make sure I know my stuff before I buy one. They are just so interesting to look at....almost ugly in a cute way thats why they caught my eye :D

#5 ·
they are awsome! :2thumb:
Ive kept cresties for just over a year and now have 7 lol
I thought i knew all i needed to give them a good home BUT with all things you cant beat having the hands on experience and im still learning!

Go for it you will be hooked as soon as u have your cresty home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.