Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read up a little about breeding crested geckos.
I understand that with most reptiles the female needs a secure area to lay eggs etc etc.
Just wondered at what side of the viv you're supposed to put the lay box?
Will the hot side cook them and will the cool side be uncomfortable for her?

I'm not currently breeding cresties, just couldn't find anything that specified.

Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a lay box in mine which she as never used so I always go on a egg hunt. I put mine to the back where its more hidden.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Mine are always at the back of the exo to give the females a bit more privacy.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Mine are on one side, but toward the front. This doesn't seem to bother the females and they always use the boxes

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Mine never use laying boxes :lol2: Probably because they have a loose substrate, I still offered them much deeper laying boxes but they didnt use them they just lay where they like so I just do a digging hunt for them every week or so during the breeding season :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I keep my layboxes towards the cooler end so that it always has a little bit of moisture still in there as they will generaly look for somewhere humid to lay eggs. No idea whether thats the norm but havnt had any problems so far and found that the girls spent much longer digging in a less humid substrate when the box was closer to the warmer end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts