Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i recently purchased a young crested gecko and a 45 45 60 exo terra viv.

The temperatures were too cold at night with just a heat mat, so i purchased a 100w ceramic bulb and holder, this is placed about 8 inches above the viv, i have a habistat pulse thermostat and the sensor is placed about 8 inches from the top of the viv under the lamp and the temp set to 22c is this ok?

I don't have the temperature set any higher as the humidity seems to drop massively after 10 hours this morning it was at 40% humidity. I have repti bark covered in moss. am i spraying too little water into the viv? how much do people recommend?

The little crestie seems to always sleep on the cool side of the viv up in the vines.

I read pages and pages on these forums and watched lots of videos on youtube before the purchase, but im still worried i have got something wrong.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello i recently purchased a young crested gecko and a 45 45 60 exo terra viv.

The temperatures were too cold at night with just a heat mat, so i purchased a 100w ceramic bulb and holder, this is placed about 8 inches above the viv, i have a habistat pulse thermostat and the sensor is placed about 8 inches from the top of the viv under the lamp and the temp set to 22c is this ok?

I don't have the temperature set any higher as the humidity seems to drop massively after 10 hours this morning it was at 40% humidity. I have repti bark covered in moss. am i spraying too little water into the viv? how much do people recommend?

The little crestie seems to always sleep on the cool side of the viv up in the vines.

I read pages and pages on these forums and watched lots of videos on youtube before the purchase, but im still worried i have got something wrong.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Set up sounds great to me Although I set my temps to 25***8451; in the day and allow to a drop of 19***8451; at night. Their natural Habitat is a little warmer than what people say is " room temperature " I don't struggle with humidity but I use coco fibre substrate. Drench the Viv to about 80% humidity at night then by morning it's 60%. Few squirts then in the morning usually keeps it to around 60% until it's time to mist again.
One thing I would like to say though is you need to find a set up you are able to comfortabley keep that is beneficial to your gecko. Everyone does things differently

·
Registered
92 Posts
Set up sounds great to me Although I set my temps to 25***8451; in the day and allow to a drop of 19***8451; at night. Their natural Habitat is a little warmer than what people say is " room temperature " I don't struggle with humidity but I use coco fibre substrate. Drench the Viv to about 80% humidity at night then by morning it's 60%. Few squirts then in the morning usually keeps it to around 60% until it's time to mist again.
One thing I would like to say though is you need to find a set up you are able to comfortabley keep that is beneficial to your gecko. Everyone does things differently
My set up is very similar. 23 deg during day, drops to about 18 deg at night. Mist thoroughly in the evening and maybe a bit in the morning. But OP, your set up sounds great, good job :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I also use ceramics :) I have mine sat on the mesh of the exo in a deep medium dome, on a pulse stat the probe is below the ceramic attached to a branch to create a basking spot and gradient, my setups are live planted i spray heavy in the morning raising it to around 90% this dries out during the day to around 60% (the drying out period is important) before spraying again late evening, Try covering part of the mesh to see if that help with the humidity.

Are you using a digital hydro or one of the dial ones to measure humidity?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply i will up the day time temp once i have the humidity under control

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also use ceramics :) I have mine sat on the mesh of the exo in a deep medium dome, on a pulse stat the probe is below the ceramic attached to a branch to create a basking spot and gradient, my setups are live planted i spray heavy in the morning raising it to around 90% this dries out during the day to around 60% (the drying out period is important) before spraying again late evening, Try covering part of the mesh to see if that help with the humidity.

Are you using a digital hydro or one of the dial ones to measure humidity?
Thanks for the reply.

Do you use a 100w ceramic? i think i have a very similar dome but mine's too big to sit right on top of the mesh it would rest on the plastic.

How far away from the lamp is your branch?

I have just covered the back half of the viv with a wet towel to try and help until i can get some perspex on my days off.

Im using a dial hydro im guessing there not too great if you are asking the question? ive moved the hydro dial now to a place a little further away from the lamp as it was still reading low when i got home but the moss was still very wet!

once again thanks for the reply

·
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.
1,376 Posts
Instead of reducing airflow, have you considered using a nice thick coco-fibre substrate (or similar), this will hold water better and although it will still dry out, it will not be so severe, you could also then add a clean up crew to the substrate and be bioactive :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Do you use a 100w ceramic? i think i have a very similar dome but mine's too big to sit right on top of the mesh it would rest on the plastic.

How far away from the lamp is your branch?

I have just covered the back half of the viv with a wet towel to try and help until i can get some perspex on my days off.

Im using a dial hydro im guessing there not too great if you are asking the question? ive moved the hydro dial now to a place a little further away from the lamp as it was still reading low when i got home but the moss was still very wet!

once again thanks for the reply
On 45x45x60 exo's i use 75w ceramics mine rests partly on the center plastic brace in the middle of the mesh, Yes the dial hydro are quite inaccurate a digital one is better :)

I have multiple branches at different heights under it but at the very top one is 4-5 inches below it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.