Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, I have 1.1 Crestie who are both 9months old.

There weights are 20g (him) and 34g (her)

Thats quite a weight difference seems they are the same age so just wondering if this is normal or if he needs feeding up?

·
Registered
549 Posts
The females certainly doing well for 9 months old and the male isn’t doing to bad either, i find males do tend to grow at a slower rate than females and do tend to weigh less than females even when fully grown. Also are these both housed together? If so id strongly recommend separating them until there both of breeding weight and age and even then wouldn’t recommend they live together on a permanent basis. Also the female could well be bullying the male hence why he isn’t gaining as much weight and cresties certainly do better on their own.

Hope this Helps
CrestieCrazy

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input and yes they lived together but we have just separated them and i know he gets enough food as i hand feed him where as she will only eat in the dead of night.

Is it possible she could have eggs forming?

·
Registered
549 Posts
It’s very late in the year for eggs to be forming however it’s very possible she could be developing eggs however i find my female’s eggs only weigh 4-5grams so this would still make the female 30grams without eggs which is still big for her age but every crestie grows at a different rate.

Also have you had these tested for parasites? Could be a possibility, however there weights may be very far apart but as long as none of them are losing weight and haven’t got parasites and are feeding and pooing and shedding fine and are continuing to gain weight then i wouldn’t be majorly concerned.

Hope this helps
crestieCrazy

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Agree crested can grow at different rates, and my males are usually not as heavy as the females. I would however be concerned if she is gravid since she is still quite young

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if she is gravid im afraid there is not much i can do.

But the male is eating/pooing/shedding fine and he isnt losing weight so will just keep an eye on him.

Thanks for all your help :)

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Good luck with them :)

Reactions: Lil_nightmare

·
Registered
14 Posts
35gram 9inch male crestie

hey guys n girls
i dont mean to high jack this thread but does this sound a god weight for a prox 2 year crestie male 9inch from noes to tail tip 35gram .

couldnt help but ask you guys n sirls are on the ball!!

respect

cole

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
they all vary tbh, probly best to post a picture so we can see if he`s in proportion?

if a males housed with females, eating will not be top of his agenda, so that could make him lighter too.
9 months is a bit young for breeding imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts