Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! (Sceloporus poinsettii) Crevice spiny lizard

I've had this little guy for a well over a year with no issues, but recently keeps getting eye infections.

I'm currently using a Arcadia D3+ 12% linear UV (10 month old) but there is very little info on what % bulb to use and with having eye issues it's the first thing I'm suspecting

Before i look into replacing it, should i look at a different brand bulb (my dragon is good on same brand) or look at a 6% bulb with it being a small lizard from Texas/Mexico origin

It still has good appetite as its eyes are mostly open but they get crusty and shuts them for days

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
hi,

this species is a true sun worshipper. Lamps of this quality certainly cant cause eye issues as they have 100% UVC protection.

the issues regarding bright lamps are simple and they all come down to lamps that are too close to the animal fro one reason or another. A bright light source of any kind hitting the eye side on will cause glare related eye issues.

if the lamp is not high enough above the head of the animal it will not matter what % you use. in fact the 6% lamp is brighter and has a higher CRI than the 12% lamp!

I have kept them on and off for years and they really are a fantastic species, but they do climb and dig very well. sometimes these eye issues are caused by the lizard climbing high and getting side on to the lamp or from dirt getting in the eyes

please let me know how you get on,

a picture of your viv would be very helpful

john

Help! (Sceloporus poinsettii) Crevice spiny lizard

I've had this little guy for a well over a year with no issues, but recently keeps getting eye infections.

I'm currently using a Arcadia D3+ 12% linear UV (10 month old) but there is very little info on what % bulb to use and with having eye issues it's the first thing I'm suspecting

Before i look into replacing it, should i look at a different brand bulb (my dragon is good on same brand) or look at a 6% bulb with it being a small lizard from Texas/Mexico origin

It still has good appetite as its eyes are mostly open but they get crusty and shuts them for days

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply

I will post pics tonight, the spot she likes to sit is about 8-10 inches from the uv and the basking spot which she sits on sometimes is about 12 inches from the uv

I've put the uv near the front at the top because she hides at the back of the viv, I also removed the sand just to rule it out but it's not made a difference

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
goodness that is very close,

it is important that animals are not allowed to or are not subjected to experience an index of UV that is higher than that, that would be found in the wild. These are very powerful lamps! you need to adjust your decoration so that it is 12-15" away from the lamp and reflector at the highest point or 10-12" if using the 6%

any closer and they will be getting an index that is higher than nature has allowed them to develop to thrive under.

this may be the issue, they simply be getting too close

john

Hi, thanks for the reply

I will post pics tonight, the spot she likes to sit is about 8-10 inches from the uv and the basking spot which she sits on sometimes is about 12 inches from the uv

I've put the uv near the front at the top because she hides at the back of the viv, I also removed the sand just to rule it out but it's not made a difference

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking on the arcadia website the diagram shows the height as being 12-15" from the lamp to the floor. It doesn't give a height for the basking spot, but it looks on the diagram about half way, which would be half that distance. my basking spot is about 5" of the floor and the bulb is mounted exactly 15" from the floor as per the diagram.

Collard lizard was the closest i could find:

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
these calcs are from the lamp to the basking spot, not the floor

john

Looking on the arcadia website the diagram shows the height as being 12-15" from the lamp to the floor. It doesn't give a height for the basking spot, but it looks on the diagram about half way, which would be half that distance. my basking spot is about 5" of the floor and the bulb is mounted exactly 15" from the floor as per the diagram.

Collard lizard was the closest i could find:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts