Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

Hope someone can help me! I was feeding Obi and Matilda last night and I turned by back for a couple of m,inutes to answer the door and a cricket has bitten Obi on his stomach! He was still Munching when I got back to them and Obi was running round trying to get him off..

I have cleaned the cut up its not very big or deep just a nip, He doesnt seem bothered by it now and has paper towel in his tank so nothing can get in it..

My question is, Is there anything i should be cleaning it with? I dont think its a vet jobbie as i said its really not big at all, Goes without saying that if it needs a vet visit ill take him but as i said i dont think its needed. I just want to keep it clean...

HORRIBLE NASTY LITTLE GITS!!!

I dread to think what would have happended if i had left them in there all day! (I used to before that poor little one on here (was is maxine's??) got its leg bitten off!)

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Bex

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Firstly you can buy a variety of treatments for reptiles, it doesnt sound as though a trip to the vet is required, unless its a big bite, and as long as its kept clean, remove all faeces as soon as they appear so he doesnt lie in them and just let it dry out. If it seems to get any worse or doesnt dry out quickly take him to a vet.

Secondly you should always keep your crickets well fed so they arent so inclined to eat the first thing they come across in the tank, dont ever feed more than they will eat in a day and always put some kind of vegetation in the viv for the live foods so that the crickets can eat that instead of your pet, lol. Its something that is difficult to avoid, but depending on the kind of lizard you have, you might try switching to hoppers as they aren't likely to feed on him, and they dont hide away in the crevices so much, therefore they are easier to find at the end of the day, and remove if uneaten.

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Gan,

Thanks for your reply,Just to let you know. I never leave Crickets in the tank. If they are no eaten in 10 minutes while im watching they are gone! I used to leave them but as i said after the poor beardie on here i dont anymore. Also I feed the crickets with bug grub and also there is a fresh potato in there tub at all times so i dont believe it was hungry. Also i leave the babies veg in the tank while im feeding the crickets just incase..

Yet the little sod still bit my baby!! lol
Thanks for your advice!

Bex
xxx

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Looks like a rebellious cricket was trying to get his own back lol.

Hope Obi heals fine, just got to make sure it doesn't get infected or opens up again :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts