Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding my crickets a commerical gutload, but hearing that some people gutload on dog food. Any thoughts on this? Any particular type of dog food I should go for?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i use fish flakes and fruit..would think that a dry complete dog food could work...i have used dry cat food when i ran out of fish flakes..think dog food may be higher in protein though which can lead to liver damage in reps....

·
Registered
187 Posts
i use fish flakes and fruit..would think that a dry complete dog food could work...i have used dry cat food when i ran out of fish flakes..think dog food may be higher in protein though which can lead to liver damage in reps....
Wrong,complete cat food is higher in protein than complete dog food (read the labels) most dog foods are bulked out with cereals to keep the price low ,whereas cat foods are bulked out with oils and fish by-products,
hence more protein.
Also you will find the fish flakes you are feeding are higher in protein than the dog food,possibly more than cat food (depending on brand)
Rembrandt(paul);-) you have seen some of my collection and seen that i breed most of my own livefoods ,i use a complete dried dog food by skinners,which i also use for my 2 dogs, has'nt done either any harm :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong,complete cat food is higher in protein than complete dog food (read the labels) most dog foods are bulked out with cereals to keep the price low ,whereas cat foods are bulked out with oils and fish by-products,
hence more protein.
Also you will find the fish flakes you are feeding are higher in protein than the dog food,possibly more than cat food (depending on brand)
Rembrandt(paul);-) you have seen some of my collection and seen that i breed most of my own livefoods ,i use a complete dried dog food by skinners,which i also use for my 2 dogs, has'nt done either any harm :)
Thanks Jim, I did wonder about the cat food. As obligate carnivores I presumed their food would be higher in protetin, which is a shame as I have cats not dogs!

Your reps and dogs are stunning so I'll pop out and get some dog food in the morning, i can get a couple of kg's for what i'm paying for the commercial cricket food.

Cheers for your help mate.

Paul

·
Registered
187 Posts
No Problem mate, if you buy the skinners place it in a carrier bag and smash it up gentlly with a hammer ,makes it easier for the small crickets to eat it, just make sure they have some moisture in the form of veg or a water dispenser.:)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
hence more protein.
i only used cat food as emergency as yes i agree it is higher in protein than dog food...
i have used fish flakes for the last 10 years and they are the best feeder food going...dog food doesn't contain minerals/vitamins in the correct ratio and so you have to supplement more..i rarely supplement and instead feed a rounded diet..only really supplement with calcium.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i have used fish flakes for the last 10 years and they are the best feeder food going...
maybe for you and that is just your opinion,but for me and the large amounts i feed in a day it is not a practical proposition,dog food is more economical for me.

...dog food doesn't contain minerals/vitamins in the correct ratio
For what ? , the feeder item or the reptile ?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I may not have millions of crickets to feed but it's over 3000 that i have to feed on a daily basis and they do like to eat a lot...
i use fish food plus various fruits in order to give the best balanced diet to the feeder food and in turn my reps..with some of the reps i have i think i would have some serious problems if they did not recieve all the vitamins and minerals they need...this is not just 'my opinion' is a fact...
i'm not disputing the fact that dog food won't work i am just saying that i find fish food better..

·
Registered
187 Posts
..with some of the reps i have i think i would have some serious problems if they did not recieve all the vitamins and minerals they need...this is not just 'my opinion' is a fact...
i am not disputing that. Try reading my post properly and not turning it around .And you didnt answer my last question to you?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Try reading my post properly
eh? how was i not reading your post?

as for your last question any feeder food fed on just dog food would the have to be supplemented in order for a balanced diet. so in answer to your question it will keep your feeder food alive and healthy but you would need to supplement more for your rep when compared to fishflakes..

·
Registered
187 Posts
eh? how was i not reading your post?

as for your last question any feeder food fed on just dog food would the have to be supplemented in order for a balanced diet. so in answer to your question it will keep your feeder food alive and healthy but you would need to supplement more for your rep when compared to fishflakes..
in your opinion...
do you not think "just dog food " contains any vits or minerals?
you seem to give some pretty broad statements,and seem to think you are right all the time:bash: hence my saying in your opinion.
The original poster asked for peoples opinions to compare ideas,but you seem to think if you do something it is right, and every one else is wrong:eek:oo:
as for having to supplement less ,because you are feeding fishfood
what a load of crap, as i said just because you do something one way dont mean every one else is wrong:censor:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
well that was my opinion. i have never said anyone else is wrong. you show me where i did!!!!?
mate you got a serious problem and i think you should get your head seen too..some glasses may help as well..( f o r t h e r e a d i n g )

·
Registered
187 Posts
well that was my opinion. i have never said anyone else is wrong. you show me where i did!!!!?
mate you got a serious problem and i think you should get your head seen too..some glasses may help as well..( f o r t h e r e a d i n g )

in your opinion:lol2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts