Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So i've got my 2 month old baby crestie this morning, and a box of brown crickets, i've moved the crickets to a large plastic box (b&q style) with a lid and air holes, i've put down some paper towels and some wet paper towels for water/moisture.

Questions

1. How do people recommend extracting them to feed to the gecko.

2. What do people feed the crickets.

3. I seem to have got a couple of wood lice with the crickets are these ok to feed as well ?

Thanks

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hi,
Questions

1. How do people recommend extracting them to feed to the gecko.

2. What do people feed the crickets.

3. I seem to have got a couple of wood lice with the crickets are these ok to feed as well ?

Thanks
Hey,
You may find a damp sponge works better that wet paper towels as it controls the moisture better and the crickets dont fair well in humidity.

1. i use feeding tongs (really cheap to buy) i prefer plastic ones if feeding the gecko with the tongs because it reduces any damage that may be caused if the gecko misjudges and strikes. Or someonthers use their hands to pick them up. they can give you a little nip but nothing too agonising.

2. Feed the crickets a varied diet to ensure they are gutloaded with as much nutrients as possible. They do well on anything like fruit and veg (things like potato are best as it has tons of moisture and this will st0op them eating eachother) you can also keep them on a cereal based substrate which they will also feed on but you will have to clean this out regularly. They will also eat fish food but this makes them smell.

3. the woodlice will be fine in with the crickets but i myself wouldnt feed it to your gecko. others may but my preference would be not to.

hope this helps.

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,599 Posts
As above. Plus you will need to be REALLY careful that there is nowhere in that plastic box that they can get out - believe me crix can get out of almost anything! Lots of ppl use a kricket keeper to keep them in. These are well ventilated and have black tubes in that the crickets hide in then all you have to do is pull a tube out and shake it into the viv or food bowl and the crickets drop out - you don't have to touch them at all. If you use one just be a bit careful as there are a couple of "holes" in them near the handle that small crix can get out of - sellotape them up.
The woodlice type things may be Dubia roaches which are fine to feed to your lizzie.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Crickets need to be in a dry airy enclosure.
If you have the lid on a plastic box with a few air holes, this will not do, the crickets will smell and soon die.
If you are using such a box, leave the lid off, it will then need to be high enough so that the crix cannot jump out.
There is no point in the tissue lining of the box, just tip out the box the crix come in and the crix will eat the bran and use it as a substrate.
Best to use black crix only, these are not as jumpy and generally easier to manage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah you dont want brown crickets escaping. I got at least 2 hiding in my kitchen somwhere making that god awful noise driving me crazy!! its only a matter of time before i go wild let loose and destroy them!:devil:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I tried the Cricket Keeper, but even the large one wasn't big enough for the quantities of crickets I tend to buy. So, using the tube idea, I now have a well ventilated faunarium decked out with loo roll and kitchen roll tubes - about 6 or 8 tubes in all. These increase the surface area for the crix and reduces the temptation to canibalise one another.

It's the same idea as the keeper - lift out a tube, tap the contents into a tub, dust according to taste then serve cold. :whistling2:

As stated earlier, ventilation is a necessity and moisture is deadly. I use a bran/chick mash mix for dry food, and add fresh veg each day. I also use bug gel, something the crix love.

Getting to this point has been a case of trial and error, but now I have very few deaths. Actually, it's a 100% death rate but you know what I mean. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts