Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking of starting some fo my own breeding colonies of livefood for my two lizards. I already have a colony of mealworms and morioworms. I am planning to start breeding dubias soon but for now I would like to start first with either crickets or locusts.

So I would like to see whether people think it is easier to breed crickets or locusts. I have read that you can't use egg crates for locusts but you can for crickets. I would also like to know where is the cheapest place to buy bulk locusts or crickets to start a breeding colony

·
Registered
632 Posts
Crickets are esyier to breed as locust need there own viv with heat but crickets need separating as soon as there born as the adults will eat the young cricks, out of the two if you can crack it breed locut as there a lot more expensive, go on utube there are some vids on there showing you how to do it

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I'd go with crickets too for the above reasons, plus they're easier to handle and don't smell!

In the feeder section there's a thread I started that has most of the info plus a link to a sticky that is also in the feeder sections which explains pretty much everything and is very useful.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is total rubbish, crix are the smelliest of all the feeders bar uncleaned rats/mice. And if your humidity changes they will chain reaction die creating the most unbelievable ammonia smell that in turn kills almost all other crix sharing the tub. The link on here about breeding them will echo this, check it out.

Crix would need a large tub also and the babies are so small I can assure you from experience they will escape ANYTHING. You do need to separate adults from hatchlings pretty fast or yes cannibalism will occur. Also dont forget the noise crickets will make all the time it drives you nuts :p

Locusts smell sure, but as they only eat leaves or cabbage etc their excrement is small dies really fast and tbh a large collection of locust will smell like you just mowed your lawn on a hot summers day. They dont make noise are easy to catch if they escape or you drop any, and the babies are large enough to not crawl through mesh and can easily be scooped up should any make a jump for it.

Locust are also not as hard to breed as many make out they just require a little thought, and plenty of fresh but FREE garden shrubbery to eat.

There are lots of great guides floating about on here for all these feeders but if I had to recommend Id go with Dubias and Locust everytime. :no1:

Reactions: sam n mushu

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also I keep my locusts on sticks and egg crates and they are fine, hundreds of little hatchlings I have pics of setup in another thread. Locust will climb on anything.

Reactions: sam n mushu

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I thought so, after all the times we've chatted about Locusts and I have helped you with setup info and whatnot you were siding with crickets! I kept thinking he must mean locusts he MUST mean locusts! :flrt:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
:lol2: and thanks for that help too I cling filmed over my laying tubs today, it's been 8 days since lay day and I can see some pretty swell eggs, by that I mean they're nice and big! Hoping for hatchlings anytime from Monday!

Reactions: AOTP
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.