Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way of storing crickets??

Iv read somewhere that keeping them in the container and egg box that they come from the pet shop in is not really good as it harbours?

Im thinking of getting a small plastic tank but what should i put in for them to hide in?

Has anyone ever used a 'KRICKET KEEPER' iv seen these on ebay does anyone recomend them?

what does everyone feed these little buggers?

my mum hates the noisy crickets, are the silet crickets genuinley silent?

thanks

danny

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
silent crickets sometimes sing but mostly are silent! don't get decorated crickets as they are noisy as hell itself..
i keep mine in a big old tub with lots of egg carton.. and feed them a mixture of fruit and fish flakes...if you keep em relatively warm and dry they tend to live for quite a while..

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
but dont forget, the longer you keep them, the bigger they will grow!!!!!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fish flakes? thats a new one on me - il try that.

I dont get my bearded till friday but want to be ready, i hate the crickets make so annoying reminds me of abroad when your trying to sleep.

Iv seen that you can order them online but not sure if thats gunna be very practical for me, i wont be in during the day for delivery

·
Registered
146 Posts
Personally the silent crix that i got were only silent for about a week or so then i couldnt get them to shut up. I use a large plastic fish tank that i bought from pets at home to store my crix in. Its well ventilated and i can feed and clean the crix when neccesary. I feed my crix on left ova veg and a special gut loading food that i buy along with my livefood.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
mine used to get left in the porch! actually had a box of 2000 stolen once! why would you steal crickets!!?:lol2:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
lets just hope the sods got the box home, opened it, droped it through shock and they infested there house:twisted:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
mine used to get left in the porch! actually had a box of 2000 stolen once! why would you steal crickets!!?:lol2:
Feed to your own lizards :lol2:

Keep mine in large plastic storage boxes, drill holes in the top for ventilation. Nothing special done apart from some veg every now and again to keep them going.....

and silent crix does not mean they are silent - trust me!

I prefer black crix over brown. They are bigger and juicier! If they sing all the time put them in a colder room and they soon quieten down

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
prefer black crix over brown
i had to get black ones once but they look too much like roaches for me!! Euck!

my silents were bl'''''''y silent! dont you just love it when your all cosied up watching tv with your OH and out of the corner of your eye you see a big old cricket scaling the curtains!! im always thinking... dont see it dont see it! he doesnt have any pets of his own and hates the crickets and is worried about them infesting our lovely brand new flat! oops!

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
dont go there with the infestation thing:sick: cant offer much more keep mine as said in plastic fish tank with a little door that opens so you dont have to take lid off,less chance of escapees,i stick the egg boxes they come with in with them,sometimes i think god im getting short turn it over and hello.... 1000s more,if you want them to grow quicker feed rocket leaves it really bulks them up,otherwise i throw in fish flakes grated carrot and apple,ive bought non silent and silent and they all sing to add to the sheer hell of keeping them at all,hoppers much nicer,waxies better still,cant hate them can you

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
no they wont survive in a garage very well atall, i tried it when we first got our beardies.

70 degrees daytime is about the min your gona get away with i think, last night my house dropped to 60 degrees, coldest for ages [had been 68 for ages then 2 days ago it dropped to 64] it had been snowing but anyway my crix are still alive... BUT any colder or for longer they wouldnt be...im not even going to go into the garage to see how cold it is cos id imagine its basically trhe same as outside..and thats asty right ow lol.

I just jeep crix in plastic ventilated large containers, toilet roll tubes or egg cartons, lots of, pack it full if urv a lot of crix, if just a tubs worth then 3 or 4 will do nicely [toilet roll tubes or equiv] crushed up wheatabix on the floor.. half a wheatabix is plenty for a tubsworth, keep an eye for it to all change to poo then refll, and veg such as leafy lettuce and al that stuff...is best, this is just for moisture really but they get vitamins fromthem which are then passed on to the lizards.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Bare in mind a cricket is wasting often..and within an hour has completely emptied and refilled thier guts.. so take away the source of food and withing an hour they have no goodness left...as the crickets goodness is in its gut.. which is why its pointless [aswell as potentially dangerous] to leave them in the viv with your reps for more than a very short while [my opinion, 15 minutes as meal time should last no more than that anyway]

Also if ur chillin them in the fridge or freezer, even whilst they are cooling they are gona be going to the loo so put some leaves in with them then aswell..

I have a leo..b4 i put his crix in i put a leaf in too... generally he eats them all..but regardless i leave the leaf in there till the morning [he's fed at night due to being nocturnal] and take that out then, as i would any remaining crix but to be honest ive always taken them out if applicable way b4 then but just incase there is one or more in there, they will munch on that, stay full, not nibble the leo and also gives a fairly obvious place for the leo to find them..he is learning lol..but he doesnt like the leaves himself :)

thinks thats all i have to add at the moment..OH make sure u get the crix..like now..and have them all well fed up for when u get ur beardie.

Dean

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
agh i got logged off and ALMOST lost this post....

silent arent silent... i mean not atall.. BUT blacks are the worse so to an extent it seems like it..

Rememebr to keep your crix houses clean and mould free, if u "dont like" tem get some tongs or some thin gloves so u can handle them when u need to.. and u prolly will need to cos ocasionally they will get away and urll have to catch them...its easy if u dont hesitate.

BUY BULK online once ur used to it, better ratio of live to dead, works out much cheaper and if u use livefoods.co.uk and prolly ALL the others they use royal mail who just leave them in your porch..actually scrap that i had loadsa hastle first couple times... OK THEY SHOULD..BUT POSTMEN ARE THICK////but its not recorded delivery so they should.... u might have hastle the first time...hmm

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
i just stick a few leaves of luettece in there with them doesn't last long though plol. I'm thinking of getting the rock that you put crickets in and calcium. Saves whiping it on 1 by 1 :lol2:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
just like to say that apart from small chirrups my silent crickets are pretty quiet..and i have thousands! think someone is selling everyone dodgy 'noisy' silent crickets!:lol2:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
im pretty certain the silents and the normal browns have been hybridised and that what i keep getting sold

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
are they dead?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts