Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased two crocodile skinks and was advised that they would not eat for about a week due to the stress of moving them. However, it has now been more than a week and they still are not eating. I'm not sure what could be wrong. I have tried searching on the net but it would appear that not many people keep them. So if there is anybody out there who could provide me with some advice then it would be great. They don't seem to have lost any weight and they don't appear to have lost any tail reserve. They are shedding at the moment thou.

·
Registered
520 Posts
crocodile skinks

hi there and welcome i dont have much knowledege about skinks but i would think they will be ok while shedding as long as they eat their skin and if you wanted you could tempt them with 1 or 2 items of food if they dont eat them after about an hour take them back out or if they eat them a.s.a.p try some more

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Have you tried hand feeding them?

Get a wax worm and rub it lightly over the sides of the mouth, it forces a response where the mouth opens, all you need to do then is pop the food in the gaping mouth.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
we had 2 at the shop i work at and we never saw them eat, but we knew they were because we counted in how many crickets etc we were putting in. They are nocturnal (although i'm sure you know that), and very very secretive. we very rarely saw them.

try counting in the amount of crickets and waxworms you're putting in. you will know if they are eating then :)

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Have you tried hand feeding them?
I've always thought Croc.Skinks were a very fragile lizard. Hand feeding may be quite the stressor.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I have succesfully done it with freshly caught specimens. The trick is to be firm enough to restrict any thrashing about (as this is the bit that builds up lactic acid) but not so strongly that you hurt the animal. Also a quick capture is preferred over a long drawn out chase so timing and perfecting your planned capture method is a good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts