Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share this with you.

I looked into gettin a dwa some time ago but the prices in the areas I planned to live in made it impossible! (price wise)
I have now established myself and I am going through the 8 week stage of my licence, I am really suprised how low the price is round here! I found public liability insurance for £85 per annum for the one species. The vet check is 60 pound and the licence is £130 for the year. I thought long and hard about what to keep as a dwa animal in the end I decided crocodilians as arachnids dont interest me and im happy to admit my mentoring is not up to scratch for venomous snakes (maybe in the future), thought about a gila monster but I here they are hard to come by? So crocodilian wise im gonna start with a spectacled caiman, got my setup all ready its a fab tank/viv setup with land and water, filtration, in and out waterheating, dimmed lighting you name it, lots of plant growth etc. I have gone though the protocals, locks and signs on viv and door, My council didint require me to have double doors which is good for me lol I havent got the caiman yet but already decided on the name crone lol I did my degree in crocodilians last year and have worked with a couple of species of caiman, and a american alligator.

Will upload pics of setup and my new lil friend when it all goes through.

·
Registered
961 Posts
your from the south east

it wasnt at yarmouth where you worked with the crocks was it

there is a place on the sea front that has some dwarf and spec caimans and a realy big american aligator

·
Registered
961 Posts
get a pic of your setup up mate i have a specticled caiman and love him to bits took 14 years to get one

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea keep meaning to take da pics lol what sort of setup you use? 14 years wow, Im sure there was a post just recently in the dwa classifieds for some for sale.

·
Registered
961 Posts
he is just over 2ft long and he is in a 7ft by 3ft fish tank with about 8" of water and a gravel bank at one end with the right lighting and a realy big exturnal pump and filter as tis is verry important for the cleanleynes lol

·
Registered
961 Posts
same here mate once he is in a big enclosure it will be swapped to a big pond pump and filtration system

·
Registered
961 Posts
get the pics up mate dying to see it

·
Registered
544 Posts
I thought I would share this with you.

I looked into gettin a dwa some time ago but the prices in the areas I planned to live in made it impossible! (price wise)
I have now established myself and I am going through the 8 week stage of my licence, I am really suprised how low the price is round here! I found public liability insurance for £85 per annum for the one species. The vet check is 60 pound and the licence is £130 for the year. I thought long and hard about what to keep as a dwa animal in the end I decided crocodilians as arachnids dont interest me and im happy to admit my mentoring is not up to scratch for venomous snakes (maybe in the future), thought about a gila monster but I here they are hard to come by? So crocodilian wise im gonna start with a spectacled caiman, got my setup all ready its a fab tank/viv setup with land and water, filtration, in and out waterheating, dimmed lighting you name it, lots of plant growth etc. I have gone though the protocals, locks and signs on viv and door, My council didint require me to have double doors which is good for me lol I havent got the caiman yet but already decided on the name crone lol I did my degree in crocodilians last year and have worked with a couple of species of caiman, and a american alligator.

Will upload pics of setup and my new lil friend when it all goes through.
Sorry, could just be the cynic in me, but this just doesn't ring true. Plus 2 points of your post really jump out at me.
Why were you so dead set on keeping a DWA animal, without knowing full well exactly what you wanted to keep? Venomous snakes? hmmm, not good enough. Arachnids? Nah, not interested. Gila monster? Tough to get hold of..... but I've got to have something dangerous to show off with.... I know, I'll get a croc.
And where exactly can you do a degree in Crocodillians?
Like I say, this all just doesn't add up. If you do get a caiman - and I hope you don't - then the way you write makes it sound like a default purchase, as opposed to one of consideration and down to genuine passion.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Dave, Dave ,Dave......come on you arnt seriously saying that someone would come on here and start a thread saying that they are having this or that and talk complete BS. Thinking that all the people on the forum will think they are so impressive, when actually they think they are idiots and anyone who does that sort of thing should really see a shrink as that must be suffering from some sort of mental condition or really need to get a life.....sorry dave those days im sure are long gone im sure the posters are totaly genuine and will post some fantastic photos of setups and animals . Personaly im really looking forward to seeing them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well it isnt up to you my friend what I keep. What doesnt ring true to you is clearly a view point of yours and not factual perhaps if you had concern for a newbie dwa keeper you could of pmd me asking a bit more about it but clearly your not interested but just want to stir.

Are you telling me when you go to the pet shop you dont think in your head I could get this or I could get that? I was merly experessing my thoughts, experience and what I was/was not interested in.

Gila monster I hear these are hard to come by tho??? question!
Venomous snakes would like to! but not mentored enough!

I did a herpetology degree which involved a large section of crocodilians towards the degree.

Sorry, could just be the cynic in me, but this just doesn't ring true. Plus 2 points of your post really jump out at me.
Why were you so dead set on keeping a DWA animal, without knowing full well exactly what you wanted to keep? Venomous snakes? hmmm, not good enough. Arachnids? Nah, not interested. Gila monster? Tough to get hold of..... but I've got to have something dangerous to show off with.... I know, I'll get a croc.
And where exactly can you do a degree in Crocodillians?
Like I say, this all just doesn't add up. If you do get a caiman - and I hope you don't - then the way you write makes it sound like a default purchase, as opposed to one of consideration and down to genuine passion.

·
Registered
10,232 Posts
Well it isnt up to you my friend what I keep. What doesnt ring true to you is clearly a view point of yours and not factual perhaps if you had concern for a newbie dwa keeper you could of pmd me asking a bit more about it but clearly your not interested but just want to stir.

Are you telling me when you go to the pet shop you dont think in your head I could get this or I could get that? I was merly experessing my thoughts, experience and what I was/was not interested in.

Gila monster I hear these are hard to come by tho??? question!
Venomous snakes would like to! but not mentored enough!

I did a herpetology degree which involved a large section of crocodilians towards the degree.
There is not one university in the UK which offers a sole degree in herpetology. Only a very few offer a module on herpetology on their zoology courses. Most zoology courses, mine included, have a module on vertebrate zoology with a single lecture on reptiles (and in mine I ended up having a heated "discussion" with the lecturer who was getting everything wrong), the reason for this is that zoology is far more than learning about zoo animals, it is more to do with ecology, parasitology, evolution, populations, genetics, etc.
So to say that you did a degree in herpetology which included a large section on crocodilians is not true.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
There is not one university in the UK which offers a sole degree in herpetology. Only a very few offer a module on herpetology on their zoology courses. Most zoology courses, mine included, have a module on vertebrate zoology with a single lecture on reptiles (and in mine I ended up having a heated "discussion" with the lecturer who was getting everything wrong), the reason for this is that zoology is far more than learning about zoo animals, it is more to do with ecology, parasitology, evolution, populations, genetics, etc.
So to say that you did a degree in herpetology which included a large section on crocodilians is not true.
cant wait to see the reply to this Ian

cold blooded but prime:eek:wned8:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts