Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is very, very little information on Cuban boas (Epicrates angulifer) and i recently obtained two siblings male and female, and am deciding what to do with them long run, I have some questions. Questions that might cause arguments, so try to keep civil...
As they are currently very small, they have been living together just fine.

-Should siblings be bred, or should I source other specimens? Do I have any sort of responsibility to breed this species anyway, considering its rarity in the trade and the wild?

-How long if at all can they be kept together, and would the issue be fighting or premature breeding or none of the above?

-What are appropriate breeding weights for this species?

I know they aren't a common species - hence the need for help - but if anybody knows anything, please help me out! Thanks.

Also, any answers that refer to other Epicrates might be helpful to build up an idea of the genus as a whole if I don't get specific replies.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You can house them together but when they get around 5ft I would separate them. You don't want them breeding too young.

As for sizes and weights it's best to breed them after around 6 years old and the female should be at least 7ft. If bred too early the female usually dies and this is not what you want. Breeding siblings is fine in my eyes as there's not many of these about and it's good getting them back out there.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Goo shot :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can house them together but when they get around 5ft I would separate them. You don't want them breeding too young.

As for sizes and weights it's best to breed them after around 6 years old and the female should be at least 7ft. If bred too early the female usually dies and this is not what you want. Breeding siblings is fine in my eyes as there's not many of these about and it's good getting them back out there.
I was considering selling one on, as I bought them together and wasn't sure if I wanted the extra - I don't have any breeding experience right now, but if its 5 years away then I should be fine. I'm not interested in breeding royals and corns, I'm going straight in with bull snakes and hognoses in a year or two.

But I'm guessing if I won't be able to find an adult Cuban for sale later, it might be a better idea to keep hold of them both.
Would you agree? :)

6 years is a flippin' long time though!

Fancy swapping Cubans, for diversity? :p

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Cubans are staying with me thanks lol.

If I was you I wouldn't sell on the female. Adult female Cubans are extremely rare to find. It taken me two years to track one down so it's for the best you keep it. Male adult Cubans you see more often but that's still maybe only 2-3 a year from what I've found.

Plus females can get upto like 15' so you'll need to get a big viv :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's pleasing to see people still keeping and breeding species such as these, well done. Makes a refreshing change from discussion about Ball Python Morphs!
I know! I'm always on the look out for more unusual species, it's my favourite part of the hobby! One day I'll have the space and means to just grab up any strange beasties I see for sale, heh.

The downside of interesting rare animals is this - less (if any) literature!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had a pair of these in the mid 90's. the female was around 13 ft from what I remember, maybe a little shorter but not a lot.

I lived in Germany at the time and when I came back to England I offered them to Chester Zoo as I was not able to house them, they turned me down so I rehomed them in Holland.

Great snakes, and ones that I will definitely have back in my collection one day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts