Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody give me a quick guide to this snake? Vivarium size, care requirements, adult sizes, how common they are and what a good price is.

I am checking the internet but it doesn't seem to know a great deal more than me about them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They aren't seen that often in captivity which is surprising as they are an interesting and beautiful snake species if you find the right specimen - I think they are often perceived as a dull brown animal but the iridescence on these critters (if you find the right one!) rivals that of its most iridescent family members. Combine this with a very interesting pattern and you have a great looking animal.

They are one of the larger members of its genus with reported lengths of up to 13 ft, although I would say a captive specimen is more likely to reach lengths of 8 - 10 ft. It would be unusual and you would be lucky to get bigger. In light of this you would want to opt for a lengthy vivarium of at least 6ft but I would go custom and get something 7 / 8ft long. Be prepared for the snake to outgrow a 6ft tank as it is unlikely but could happen.

You will also have to provide plenty of height as these animals are at least semi arboreal but from what I have seen prefer to be up high if they are given the opportunity to do so (unfortunately they are often not!)

In regard to temperatures I would opt for slightly lower temperatures than what you would provide for a BCI. A hot spot of around 28 - 30°c down to around 25°c in the cool end. This isn't definitive though and in my experience this is a good start point but you should watch the behaviour of your snake and adjust temperatures accordingly.

I would go for a light spray daily with a bark substrate. They require a decent range of humidity but it needs to be kept relatively dry as they live in drier tropical forests.

They are known to be both snappy and smelly but this is again very individual to the snake in question. They require an experienced hand but can be very friendly and tame if properly looked after and not over handled.

Couldn't tell you about prices... a search in the classifieds could give you an idea, however.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a 3' specimen at my local store for about £100, It's musky though adorable.

My long-term plan means getting a reptile cabin set up by this time next year, so gorwth rates are of much interest to me. Any ideas how long until how big for this species? I understand they vary but, I'd like a general idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts