Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lizard that is now in my radar for a potential pet is the Cuban knight anole. However, I can’t seem to find much information on how to properly feed them. If someone could give advice on how much, how often and what kind of insect I should feed them, that would be great! I would also like to know about how to dust and gutload their feeders insects if it is needed for their diet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A lizard that is now in my radar for a potential pet is the Cuban knight anole. However, I can’t seem to find much information on how to properly feed them. If someone could give advice on how much, how often and what kind of insect I should feed them, that would be great! I would also like to know about how to dust and gutload their feeders insects if it is needed for their diet.
Generally speaking you should gutload every bit of livefood, you can get premade mixes, however you can just use a range of vegetables. You want to feed them a range of different livefoods, crickets/locusts/dubias/morioworms etc... in terms of size they want to the be the size of the width of the anoles head. They will also take small lizards and baby mice as well. You should leave some soft bodied fruit/pre-made fruit based food, for them as well. For how regularly, they should be fed everyday, and the amount will vary on the animal and what livefood is used. So just monitor the weight as you go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally speaking you should gutload every bit of livefood, you can get premade mixes, however you can just use a range of vegetables. You want to feed them a range of different livefoods, crickets/locusts/dubias/morioworms etc... in terms of size they want to the be the size of the width of the anoles head. They will also take small lizards and baby mice as well. You should leave some soft bodied fruit/pre-made fruit based food, for them as well. For how regularly, they should be fed everyday, and the amount will vary on the animal and what livefood is used. So just monitor the weight as you go.
Good to know! Do you know of a healthy weight gain rate for these anoles?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good to know! Do you know of a healthy weight gain rate for these anoles?

Not specifically, but you basically just want to make sure you don't see definition of their ribs/hips/tail.
Just to note, these I wouldn't consider a handleable species and much rather be left alone.

·
Registered
33,577 Posts
Not specifically, but you basically just want to make sure you don't see definition of their ribs/hips/tail.
Just to note, these I wouldn't consider a handleable species and much rather be left alone.
Plus they have snotty attitudes, bite, & the bite is said to almost up there with Tokay geckos. In fact, you could consider them almost as a diurnal equivalent to Tokays, without the voice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plus they have snotty attitudes, bite, & the bite is said to almost up there with Tokay geckos. In fact, you could consider them almost as a diurnal equivalent to Tokays, without the voice.
Well, perhaps I could invest in some heavy gloves? :D I will probably end up going for a fire skink (which I have asked about on the forum before), though. Still, I was struck by these anoles and I wanted to get some more info on them because I couldn’t find a lot with ol’ google.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I agree that regular weighing of as species such as this is not feasible or necessary - you can wear goles to protect from bites but these would not protect the animal from the stress of capturing and weighing them regularly. The correct advice as to what to feed has already been given so as long as they do not show signs of emaciation then I would say there is no need to weigh them.

·
Registered
33,577 Posts
I agree that regular weighing of as species such as this is not feasible or necessary - you can wear goles to protect from bites but these would not protect the animal from the stress of capturing and weighing them regularly. The correct advice as to what to feed has already been given so as long as they do not show signs of emaciation then I would say there is no need to weigh them.
This. Too many reptile keepers are obsessed with weight, when physical apperance will suffice.

·
Registered
512 Posts
This. Too many reptile keepers are obsessed with weight, when physical apperance will suffice.
I agree with your determination they are the day version of tokays...I have had a few nips off these guys in the past...it hurt...

Out of the anole species I have kept in the past it is really easy to tell if these are being underfed or overfed. As Matt Harris says its not really feasible to weigh the species. Just generally speaking if you start to see bone definition where you aren't, up the feeding. If they aren't picking up weight for a period of time a feacal sample should rule out internal parasites.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Oh, I didn’t intend to use the gloves for weighing them, just to avoid being bitten whenever necessary, if that is what you thought I was implying. :2thumb:
With gloves it makes it easier to catch them...just stick your finger in there and it'll grab hold of you!

Reactions: ReptileQuestions
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.