Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know much about Cuban Rock iguanas? Availability, cost, where to go? I mean I know about the iguanas, but they seem pretty tough to find.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
They are around, just not many post them all over the place willy nilly for reasons. I can point you to some groups to ask around on if it is any help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are around, just not many post them all over the place willy nilly for reasons. I can point you to some groups to ask around on if it is any help?
Yeah, I'm very curious because I've seen them around but prices vary so much. I'm confused about the differences between the Cuban Rock Iguanas and the Hybrids (crossed with cayman blue). I ask because I have an offer for one, but I'm not as familiar with Iguana breeds as I am with other reptiles. Just wanted to get some info on their worth, make sure I'm not getting hustled, you know. I also am very intrigued by the "for reasons" remark haha. What do you mean by that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, just to add to that, is it risky to get one that was flown in from Cuba as a baby?

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Im intrigued... "for reasons"....
Here is a reason.
Say for example you had a grand cayman blue iguana... would you post it all over social media for everyone to see/advertise yourself for a break in?
Some came into the UK last year, most of there owners are more like "keep to themselves and prefer there privacy for that reason.

Not saying it is the exact case with the cuban rocks, but there are reasons people keep to themselves with rock iguanas (rhinos are a bit more laid back due to how common they are and easily aquirable.

Just a specific example. I know I wouldn't post cyclura left right and center, not with the amount of animal thefts and break ins there has been in the last few years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a reason.
Say for example you had a grand cayman blue iguana... would you post it all over social media for everyone to see/advertise yourself for a break in?
Some came into the UK last year, most of there owners are more like "keep to themselves and prefer there privacy for that reason.

Not saying it is the exact case with the cuban rocks, but there are reasons people keep to themselves with rock iguanas (rhinos are a bit more laid back due to how common they are and easily aquirable.

Just a specific example. I know I wouldn't post cyclura left right and center, not with the amount of animal thefts and break ins there has been in the last few years.
Wow, I didn't realize they were so sought after. It seems like you'd still find more for sale. I mean, the cuban rocks aren't THAT rare, are they? I can't even seem to find a solid price range. Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize they were so sought after. It seems like you'd still find more for sale. I mean, the cuban rocks aren't THAT rare, are they? I can't even seem to find a solid price range. Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places
As I said that isn't the exact reason for cubans, it was just to give a specific example of "reasons" they aren't that rare, but people do keep to themselves for reasons similar to that.

There are definitely keepers in the UK with cubans and infact it isn't hard to have them brought over here from the likes of germany etc. You just need to probe the right people. I nearly brought in some cubans a few years back myself.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
them anything like costa rican rock iggy's??:blush:
Not seen you around in a while dude... :notworthy:
Nah, more like the west indies. Caribbean, you might be thinking of the "spiny tails" ctenosaura sp?

Cyclura
Similar care to the greens with a more moderate humidity. Higher temps, veggy diet etc. :2thumb:

Ctenosaura vicious little monsters... especially at feeding, bugs do make up part of there diet too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts