Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find the most humane methods possible to cull mice of any size. Only need to know how to cull them as babys atm.

Cant find any methods after searching online so thought id ask for a bit of help.

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Pinkies and fluffs - throw very hard against a very hard surface. I use the kitchen floor tiles. The technique I use is to place them belly down in my hand and then quickly move my hand up, over and quickly down - slamming them to the floor whilst I'm kneeling. This makes sure that the back of the head hits the ground first and the kill is instant.

Anything older than that goes into a home made CO2 gas chamber.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
i couldnt do the whole wack thing.... i love animals far too much to physically be the cause of death.
co2 all the way.
not sure how to make gas chamber, trying to find out for myself! ive had a look on here and theres a few threads but its all rather hush hush.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
i couldnt do the whole wack thing.... i love animals far too much to physically be the cause of death.
co2 all the way.
not sure how to make gas chamber, trying to find out for myself! ive had a look on here and theres a few threads but its all rather hush hush.
The thing is pinkies are such a pain to gas they take much longer as they hold their breath. It's more prolonged gassing them as pinkies so an instant whack seems more humane.

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
co2 all the way.

CO2 doesn't work with young animals. They are physiological evolved to survive in very low oxygen environments (think 15 baby mice tucked up under a big female in a tight nest... that equals very little O2!)

I don't really get the 'love them too much to be the cause of death'. That sort of implies I don't love them because I am able to respect them enough to give them the quickest, most humane death possible? I breed my own rodents so that I know they have the best life possible. I keep snakes to the best of my ability. This means I need to kill their food.

I think it would show a great deal less love for animals to buy in commercial food for my animals, as I don't think that commercial rodents have anything like a good life and especially not a quick, clean death.

In other words, I love animals so much that I am willing to 'bite the bullet' and deal with the angst that causes me so that I know my animals have the best possible food and their food has the best possible life and quickest, most humane possible death.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The thing is pinkies are such a pain to gas they take much longer as they hold their breath. It's more prolonged gassing them as pinkies so an instant whack seems more humane.
learnt something new, thanks :)

CO2 doesn't work with young animals. They are physiological evolved to survive in very low oxygen environments (think 15 baby mice tucked up under a big female in a tight nest... that equals very little O2!)

I don't really get the 'love them too much to be the cause of death'. That sort of implies I don't love them because I am able to respect them enough to give them the quickest, most humane death possible? I breed my own rodents so that I know they have the best life possible. I keep snakes to the best of my ability. This means I need to kill their food.

I think it would show a great deal less love for animals to buy in commercial food for my animals, as I don't think that commercial rodents have anything like a good life and especially not a quick, clean death.

In other words, I love animals so much that I am willing to 'bite the bullet' and deal with the angst that causes me so that I know my animals have the best possible food and their food has the best possible life and quickest, most humane possible death.
i didnt mean it like that. i would just find it really hard to do :(
so with pinkies could i put them in a bag or something? i dont know if id be able to do it. but i want to do whats most humane.

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
learnt something new, thanks :)

i didnt mean it like that. i would just find it really hard to do :(
so with pinkies could i put them in a bag or something? i dont know if id be able to do it. but i want to do whats most humane.
I think the bag might hinder rather than help.

It's not easy by any means (in fact, I'd be more worried if I did find it easy) but it is a necessity. I'm a firm believer in a realistic view of animal welfare. I think everyone who wouldn't be prepared to kill there own meat should be vegetarian!

The first time is the worst, it gets easier after the first three hundred or so....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think the bag might hinder rather than help.

It's not easy by any means (in fact, I'd be more worried if I did find it easy) but it is a necessity. I'm a firm believer in a realistic view of animal welfare. I think everyone who wouldn't be prepared to kill there own meat should be vegetarian!

The first time is the worst, it gets easier after the first three hundred or so....
i have killed a goat and ate it for dinner lol. in st lucia.

but a tiny little helpless mouse or rat just makes me feel mean. i dont mind watching the snakes do the job, their bodies are designed to do that.

so its pretty much just have the baby mouse belly up and hit the back of its head?

do you hold the feet? tail?

does it take force or just like your tapping a pen on a table when your in a bad mood? lol

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
i have killed a goat and ate it for dinner lol. in st lucia.

but a tiny little helpless mouse or rat just makes me feel mean. i dont mind watching the snakes do the job, their bodies are designed to do that.

so its pretty much just have the baby mouse belly up and hit the back of its head?

do you hold the feet? tail?

does it take force or just like your tapping a pen on a table when your in a bad mood? lol
Hand flat, mouse placed on hand, belly down, then with a quick up, turn over and very hard slam into ground it's all over.

If it is big enough to be 'mobile' then i grip the base of the tail and whip them round to the ground instead.

(this all sounds really harsh when written down....)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hand flat, mouse placed on hand, belly down, then with a quick up, turn over and very hard slam into ground it's all over.

If it is big enough to be 'mobile' then i grip the base of the tail and whip them round to the ground instead.

is it bloody?

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Not usually.

Usually there is a little bit of twitching and that's it.

Occasionally there is a slight bleeding from the nose and very very occasionally the belly will split.

99 times out of 100 though, it is a very slight twitch followed by nothing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
i use a pencil or screwdriver behind the neck, then lift the tail up and over towards the head. One small click, then a twitch, then snake food (for small mice and older). same as bothrops for pinks

·
Registered
920 Posts
I just posted this in the other thread asking the same questions:

I've never had my own colony, but I have worked in a well known Zoo in the UK (which I don't feel I should name because how they cull is the Zoo's own business). We snapped their spines by holding the mouse firmly at the case where the tail joins, and doing one firm whack of their heads off the corner of a solid worksurface. This was always instant, there was never anything more than muscle spasm for a second or two. Its pretty quick too, you can do about 1 every 10 seconds.

I'm a lover of all animals and a firm believer that breeding your own mice and rats is much more humane than buying them frozen - you are giving them a better life and you are in control of how they die.

If I had the space/money I would keep my own cows, pigs and chickens and slaughter them myself, rather than buying meat from unhappy, overcrowded and inhumanely slaughtered animals.

Reactions: bothrops

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Worked a treat thank you. I added a flick to the back of the neck after this too just to make sure.

·
Registered
779 Posts
the best advice

chuck the pinks straight in the freezer and any others hold tail, pencil behing head, press down pencil and pull tail.
instant cervical dislocation. very quick and not bloody at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
chuck the pinks straight in the freezer and any others hold tail, pencil behing head, press down pencil and pull tail.
instant cervical dislocation. very quick and not bloody at all.
NOBODY SHOULD DO THIS! PLEASE DO NOT EVER DO THIS

It has been scientifically documented that freezing animals alive, even pinkies, causes excruciating pain. As the cells freeze, ice crystals cause then to rupture long before conciousness is lost.

It simply isn't true that they just 'slow down and go to sleep'.

Cervical dislocation however is perfectly acceptable for larger animals.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
ive got my first cull to do tomorrow! ive bought an appropiate sealed air tight container and tomorrow i will go and get the plastic tubes and co2....

im glad i dont have to do the pinkies as im pretty much on hoppers now for my smallest snakes.

wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
how old to use C02 chamber?

Hey guys.
I'd really like to pull on peoples experience. I'm not sure at which point I can start using the c02 chamber for the smaller mice. I was thinking anything past ten days old? I'm really not sure and would appreciate the advice rather than go through the horror or trial and error.

By ten days old my mice are showing patterns bodly and have fine hair. I would say they are smaller to medium sized fuzzies.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i dont mean to butt in but can i just ask a question, what happens to the mothers milk if all her pinks are taken away, does it just dry up no physical harm done or does it lead to things like mastitus. do you leave one or two young to suckle the milk? or cull the whole litter?

i'm sorry if this is a little stupid or out of place

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.