Reptile Forums banner

Custom background (glass viv) for my leopard gecko.

11K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  sharkypoolking 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally built my custom background for my glass tank with some concept Ideas.
Firstly brought a glass viv off eBay from (handsproductsuk) and it was a 70x40x50 in size.

Because I was doing a fixed fake background on a glass tank I didn't wanna see the back and sides so I cut out my background from spacefoam...

I then placed the background into the viv and drew around the edges onto the glass I then took the background back out and put masking tape round where I had marked like so....

Once I did that I got some black enamel spray paint and and spray painted the glass where the back ground would be...

I also left a little peep hole on the side so I can see him when he's asleep.

Then I glued the back ground to the glass with no more nails. Like so...

I then applied a primer to the background .,.

And then applied the paint.

And then after that put a couple of coats of pva and a small amount of sand in the pva mix so it's not a slippery surface.
Then put all the thermostats back in and put sand in
And then it was nearly finished to put the little man in.

See less See more
#2 ·
cool looks good can i ask what you painted it with ?

#3 ·
Plastic cote spray paint from wilkinson. It's around £7 a can tho so a little expensive and I used a can and a half.

#4 ·
it was worth it looks really good :)

#5 · (Edited)
Cheers, well piece of advise find a under undercoat coulor very similar (ie grey for the dark sand effect) and give two coats of under coat and then you don't have to use too much of the plasti-kote spray paint.

Also I saw u were asking about the dangers of space board iv used it on all my vivs and you can see the mess I made on the bearded dragon viv but I just left the window open I asked a friend who is an insulation installer and he said at work he just uses a general dust mask but that's because he works with lots of different insulation materials. But it can be dangerous if u have a partner or/& parents and u don't clean up tho. Lol

#7 ·
#10 ·
It doesnt take that long to do, it's just the waiting for bits to dry to put on more that takes time it doesn't take that many working hours to do, but if not get ur fella to do it, ;-) lol

#11 ·
Sand gone.

Sand gonee like promised reptile carpet cut to shape and layed down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.