Reptile Forums banner
2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  loveexotics 
#1 ·
Im attending Hamm next month and i was wondering if anyone was able to tell me if you need custom forms for bringing back reptiles on P&O ferries?

If so could anyone point me in the right direction as i cant find any forms on their website.

Many thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that All you need is a receipt from the dealer at the show that says the animal was purchased abroad IF the animals are NOT for resale in the UK. You will also need a letter from a vet or the owner (that would be you) stating the animal is fit to travel. You will need one letter per animal
If the animals are for resale then UK VAT is applicable and customs paperwork will then need to be filled in so that the UK gets its slice of the cake.
The exception would be any animals on a Cities list (i believe appendix 1) OR if the animal is classed as DWA in the UK.
I believe (no promises) that the letter that follows should suffice and as the author I give permission for it to be downloaded and used

suggest that the following link is read as, according to defra you are allowed up to 5 reptiles to be imported. any more than 5 is classed as commercial.
ARCHIVE: Defra, UK - Animal health and welfare - International trade - Imports - Importer information notes - Balai live animals - BAL LIVE 8

#3 ·
FITNESS TO TRAVEL DECLARATION
I/We the undersigned declare that I/We are the legal owners of the animal described below and that said animal is fit to travel.
  1. Type of animal. eg snake, spider, tortoise etc.......​
  2. Breed of animal.......​
  3. Description of animal.....​
  4. Place of purchase.....​
  5. date of purchase.......​
  6. Dealer........​
  7. Signed ..............​
Legal owner

Date..................

Dealer stamp or signature (if possible) with Date​

#4 ·
FITNESS TO TRAVEL DECLARATION​

I/We the undersigned declare that I/We are the legal owners of the animal described below and that said animal is fit to travel.​

1. Type of animal. eg snake, spider, tortoise etc.......
  2. Breed of animal.......​
  3. Description of animal.....​
  4. Place of purchase.....​
  5. date of purchase.......​
  6. Dealer........​
  7. Signed ..............​
Legal owner

Date..................​

Dealer stamp or signature (if possible) with Date​

This may or may not suffice but in my opinion it is better than nothing.
It shows that the animal has come from the EU (if you can get a dealer stamp) as anything from outside the EU is subject to stringent checks. If you can get a receipt as well that will help. Customs officers are well known for their S!*T attitudes due to lack of knowledge.

Here is the same form written in German as well

FITNESS DER ERKLÄRUNG REISEN

Ich / Wir die Unterzeichnenden erklären, dass ich / wir die rechtmässigen Besitzer des Tieres nachfolgend beschriebenen und sagte, dass Tiere passen zu reisen.

Art des Tieres. zB Schlange, Spinne, Schildkröte usw. .......
Rasse des Tieres .......
Beschreibung tierischen .....
Kaufort .....
Kaufdatum .......
Händler ........
Unterzeichnet ..............
rechtmäßige Eigentümer

Datum ..................

#8 ·
I personally would think that they could seize the animals OR work out what they are worth in the UK and make you pay the duty. Thats if they decide to be complete merchant bankers.

They could just turn a blind eye, especially if you could prove that they were NOT for resale.

#14 ·
i do have one more question if you are able to help?

what is the rule about bringing back tortoises? i went last december and the coach trip i was on all bought back tortoises absolutely fine but after just talking to someone they have told me that bringing back tortoises is risking and are likely to be confiscated at customs. is this correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.