Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the enclosure i built for the babies. So far they are loving it but we are no where near done with the inside yet.

Here are the babies

Fafner hiding

The Runt of the Aussies. No name yet

Largest of the aussies. No name yet

Fafner and the two Aussies.

We have a second greenie but no pictures of the little one yet. We are going to take pics of all of them together soon.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
awh they are adorable. lovely viv, dont see flowers very often :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the idea. We wanted to make it look more alive and colorful but not a pukie rainbow of massive color. We are still no where near done with it. A few more flowers are needed in some dull areas and moss... Lots and LOTS of moss!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
thats really good, how did you make the waterfall?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
lol lucky dragons

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Markhill: We actually purchased it from a pet store. The price estimation to make a real custom water fall would be about 200.00 on the materials. We found that water fall for 44.00 and it has a built in filtration system. It is made to filter turtles so the filter will have no problem filtering water dragons. The only thing we dont like about it is that it is ment to operate in water 4-6 inches deep.

Because of this the circulation is not what we want but there is a fix for that. I am going to take a pump and plug it up to some tubes then split the tubes to several smaller tubes then plug them into the holes of the waterfall and seal it. Placeing the pump on the other side of the pool this will inject the waterfall with the water resulting in much better filtration and will allow us to lift the water fall up higher instead of being forces to submerg it into the pool.

G

·
Very nice viv.We created something along those lines years ago for the water dragons in the shop.I found that the water fall did not filter enough as well so what we did was put in an under gravel filter with power head hooked up to the water fall and also a fluval 4 internal filter.We then had no problems with the water after that.

Just as a side note and im not sure if you have thought of this yet but those dragons are a bit on the small side so you may want to think about building a docking area so that if they do go into the pool they can then get out again.

Sorry if this is already in place i just couldnt see it on the pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The docking station is already in place. It is hard to tell in the pictures because the plastic is black 10 mil. The side closer to the door is the deep end which is about 7-8 inches deep at the very most. The side on the back where the water fall is, that is about 2-3 inches deep. There is also a long net in the water tacked to the frame of the cage (lizard laddar) leading all the way up to the top 3 level platform. This dips into the water about 4-5 inches on the deep side. Lastly the area on the front close to the bark side, there is a small rock there under the rock platform which is a little nuk/hide for them so they can climb out from all sides or just soak in the shallow end if they want.

Thank you very much for you concern though. Once they are older and larger i will keep most of the exits in place but i will drop the shallow end down from 2-3 inches to about 5 inches, increase the pool to about 10-11 inches deep on the deep side. This way the pool will grow with them.

G

·
Sounds brilliant mate and im glad you had already thought of the getting out problem.

I wish i still had pics of my old setup.It was 8 foot long 4 foot high and 3 foot deep.At one end we had a 48x15x12 fishtank with lava rock bog wood etc in it with the waterfall behind it.Then there was 15 inches depth of substrate(soil orchid bark mix) with branches real and fake plants repticarpet and moss.

It was one of the 2 main features in the shop and all out asian water dragons that were for sale were in there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made sure to do this set up with all problems or atleast the ones i know of out of it. I have amature expierence breeding the Chinese water dragons so i know how to keep them. Had a few freinds with the Aussies so i know what is needed about them also.

This enclosure is more of a breeding set up for a pair but for now it will do for the babies till we move out of the apartment into a house. We plan on converting our back yard into a huge enclosure the size of the entire back yard of the house we purchase. Kind of a green house like enclosure build directly off the house complete with a rain system etc.

This will take months to construct just the enclosure and a few more months to complete the inside set up if not longer but once it is done we plan on building it large enough to house up to 50 + dragons.

The side yard we will convert to a desert set up for beardies and the front will just but more of a guarden until we figure something else to do with it.

G

·
Sounds like that is going to be an absolute paradise for you lizards.Post some pics as when you finally get done with it all.I know your saying it will be in the future but i would be very interested to see it.I always wanted to do something like that myself but with renting properties it is not feasable.

Maybe one day i will be able to do the best for my reptiles but untill then i will have to make do with indoor enclosures

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is understandable. We have been through the renting and currently renting a small appartment and it does lack space needed both indoors and outdoors every time. Renting homes worse because you can not do what you want with it.

With the plan we have i will be able to deconstruct the enclosure and all i would have to do is pour another thin slap of quickcreat for the base level for the new location and break up the old level could be used for rocks at the new location.

I have a OCD about making things i can pull apart and reconstruct in other locations. I guess it somesthing i had to learn how to do over time being moved around by the Military and all.

Non the less it is a desire we have and will forgo within the next move so i will for sure take pics of both consturction and completion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts