Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello world,

I am keen to make a custom vivarium background for my royal python and need some assistance.

I need to know what sealer would be best suited to seal the build once its complete.
( I will be using grout and acrylic paint )

If anyone has information or even better, some links to products, then you are my hero.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Bit difficult when you haven't really explained what you are wanting to do. Are you looking to seal the joints in a standard wooden vivarium, or seal a foam sculped, coca husk covered panel into a glass enclosure ?

This section has lots of build threads covering both.. just a case of sitting down with a cuppa and browsing through the thread. Most people tend to use an expanding foam to create and sculp the backgrounds and then cover the foam with aquarium grade silicone and scatter fine coca soil over it to give it a natural look. HA6 is the silicone of choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if it was vague. I'm wanting to create a custom background eg
The background you see in this viv
Wood Rectangle Display case Art Cuisine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked and there is a lot but from what I can see they do not go into much detail with regards to sealing the project with a clear coat.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
I have looked and there is a lot but from what I can see they do not go into much detail with regards to sealing the project with a clear coat.
Probably because there is no need ?

Why do you want to completely cover the interior in a varnish / clearcoat covering ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to create something like the image below but I want some clear coat to seal the surface from moisture and also from coming away if and when my snake rubs against it. I just want to make sure that if there are any toxins in the products I use, that I can seal them in with a clear top coat. By the way I appreciate your input and efforts to help me.
Bedrock Wood Trunk Paint Art

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
For starters Royal Pythons don't need the high humidity levels that need the conformal coating you are considering. 50%-60% is an guide, which is about the same as your average room on a day like today (patchy weak sunshine through cloud cover).

If you want something that totally seals whatever it coats then standard yacht varnish is a product I've used when sealing real wood veneer prior to constructing a set of vivariums. This needs to be done in a ventilated area and you might need several light coats (probably spray on is better than brushed), and it needs to be left for a good week to really cure. But personally I feel you are wasting your time. Just follow the suggestions in the videos, and if some of the coco husk gets rubbed off, so be it, it won't harm the snake (unless ingested, but that's quite improbable).

There was a recent vivarium build documented on this forum where the guy built a large viv for a boa. He made panels with HA6 and coco soil type stuff which he "lined" the inside of the viv. If it withstands the weight of a boa rubbing over it then it should be fine for a royal, and he didn't feel the need to formal coat the panels, even though he has a large water tank for the snake to soak in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much for your responses, you have been very helpful. I will certainly be experimenting with the suggestions that you have made and exploring all possibilities. I appreciate your time, thank you.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Thank you very much for your responses, you have been very helpful. I will certainly be experimenting with the suggestions that you have made and exploring all possibilities. I appreciate your time, thank you.
Your welcome

You may have already read this thread but it covers one such process, and the end result is great for a boa, and on a smaller scale, just as good IMO for a Royal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts