Reptile Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Today my first clutch of eggs ever had one that naturally pipped and I was too impatient to let the rest pip so I decided to cut them. :)

I think it's down to personal choice, I would've waited but definitely too impatient to see what they were.

Now I'm just waiting for the little bliters to come out of their eggs, one has already so just got another 6 to go and then into their individual tubs the go. Quite excited as it's my first ever clutch, maybe next time I will let them naturally go but today was just my excitement that got me. :)

I figure that the baby snake knows what to do better than I do, so I do not cut any eggs. Also, most of the eggs that I have hatched are North American colubrid snake eggs, which are considerably smaller than royal python eggs. The bigger the egg, the less likely to hurt the baby inside it, as far as I can tell.

3.5 mins, take the top right off with a knife, serve with buttery soldiers

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Today my first clutch of eggs ever had one that naturally pipped and I was too impatient to let the rest pip so I decided to cut them. :)

I think it's down to personal choice, I would've waited but definitely too impatient to see what they were.

Now I'm just waiting for the little bliters to come out of their eggs, one has already so just got another 6 to go and then into their individual tubs the go. Quite excited as it's my first ever clutch, maybe next time I will let them naturally go but today was just my excitement that got me. :)
Just out of interest, the one that's out is that the one that pipped?

My first clutch ever was from radiated rat snakes. I was worried they hadn't hatched in time so I cut the eggs. Three were under developed, two came out but died after a week and two others were dead in the egg :(

I put it down to a bad experience but since then I don't tend to cut unless one or two have pipped already and then I just put a small slit in the top of the egg to help them out.

Each to their own though. Americans tend to cut their eggs and pull out the babies, usually royals. Something I wouldn't personally do but I'm not saying it causes harm. :2thumb:

I have only had two clutches of eggs so far. My first clutch I was to scared to cut in case I caused any problems or cut them too early, but in the end all 17 eggs hatch out healthy and fed like monsters. My second clutch I decided again to leave alone 13 out of 16 hatched 3 were dead in shell. 2 of the dead in shell had pipped and I have often wondered if I had cut them and taken them out would they have survived but I will never know. I have seen a good few of my eggs pip, the babies stick their nose out then stay in their shell for another few days... just to wind me up of course!! but I figure if they are uncomfortable or hungry they'll come out! lol

Personally I believed that leaving them be to come out when they want is the best option but if you know what you are doing and it helps the babies then I see no harm in snipping.

Cut after one has pipped.

Yes it can be impatience but also why should a snake develop and then die inside the egg, I couldn't imagine it struggling and being stuck.

My thought is help the little dude out, when it's time.
Won't harm anyone or the snakes, but could save a life, and if you breed animals and love reptiles for there beauty and not the money then saving a snake is a decent thing to do.
I would feel pooh knowing I could have helped a snake out and didn't.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.