Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I got a cuttlefish bone and crushed it down into powder as they had no Calypso calcium powder at the shop today. So I thought I'd try this as I've heard that it is 100% calcium.

Anyone got any views on this?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I think Cuttlefish bone is Calcium Phosphate, Calypso and other calcium dusts are normally Calcium Carbonate. Calcium Carbonate should be better as you are trying to reverse the ca:p ratio of the feeder insects being dusted if you try and do that Calcium Phosphate which by it's name implies it contains calcium & phosphorus it's not going to be as effective. I'm sure one of the more chemistry minded members will set me straight if that isn't the case.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I think Cuttlefish bone is Calcium Phosphate, Calypso and other calcium dusts are normally Calcium Carbonate. Calcium Carbonate should be better as you are trying to reverse the ca:p ratio of the feeder insects being dusted if you try and do that Calcium Phosphate which by it's name implies it contains calcium & phosphorus it's not going to be as effective. I'm sure one of the more chemistry minded members will set me straight if that isn't the case.
That sounds about right - even if the cuttlefish bone isn't 100% Calcium Phosphate, it will have a high % of it, which will negate the effects of dusting.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that, I really have no idea and I'm just going off what people say so if anyone does have any facts and figures, that would really help!

EDIT : Cheers HadesDragons as well!

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
There's all kinds of information floating around on Cuttlefish.

I've heard 97% Calcium Phosphate and 3% Calcium Carbonate, some health food sources claim it has "mostly" calcium carbonate and 15% organic animal proteins! and traces of other calcium compounds.

I'm more inclined to think it has low Calcium Carbonate really and it's for the best to use it only if you have to for a short while and stick to a definite known the rest of the time :)
For animals that have historically been given cuttlefish to gnaw on, I see it more as an indicator, a chance for the animal to show you directly if it is seeking more calcium in it's diet and an opportunity then to provide it with a proper source :)

Mostly irrelevant but there you go :D
lol

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just been reading up on this and heres a sentence from wiki
"Cuttlefish possess an internal structure called the cuttlebone, which is porous and composed of calcium carbonate"

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It's a very sad Sunday morning.

Cuttlebone is composed of aragonite which is one of the polymorphs of calcium carbonate the most common being calcite.

Calcium phosphate is what we're trying to get our herps to convert it into.

Calcium phosphates are swine if you're trying to make buffers in the lab. get the prep wrong and you end up with lumps of stone in the flask that refuse to dissolve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts