Reptile Forums banner

cwd substrate advice needed

Tags
cwd substrate
443 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lozmick 
#1 ·
I have a little female water dragon. She was a rescue so wasn't in the best shape when I first took her on. She's looking healthier in general, her face is still pretty mashed up, no top lip at front etc. She's got energy again which is good to see but now she's ramping round the viv like a thing possessed I want to put a substrate down to cushion her if she falls. She has a bowl of sphagnum that keeps her humidity up as well as her water dish, which tho not big enuf to swim in she can at least bathe. So, what do people use as a substrate, I only have sand and don't want to use that for her, at least not on its own. I've been told cedar chips but i'm wary of this as she tries to eat pretty much everything, hence not wanting to use sand alone. Vet says that apart from being undersized and the facial damage she is now healthy. she loves to be out and craves being held and i just want to get it right for her now she's better.

See less See more
#3 ·
I use bark and soil mixes with all our rainforest, tropical humidity loving animals, as said above it is good for humidity, I often see mine digging around in it after a good spraying for any bugs which might surface too, so good for enrichment activities, and stimulation. : victory:

#4 ·
this :)
Also, are you sure its a female op? Head shape looks like a male to me?

#5 ·
As far as I know. She hasn't laid since she's been with me but the people I got her off say she's been laying. Having said that they also thought her having no top lip was normal so anything's possible. I dont mind either way, I won't b breeding her. I'll get her a couple of your suggestions & see which she prefers. Thanks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.