Reptile Forums banner

CWD Viv overheating...Problem solved?

429 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  wilko92 
#1 ·
its been absoulutely fantastic weather here today but this lead to a problem i didnt think of when i put the viv were it is... my room is an attic bedroom and because i have a velux window the sun beats in right on the viv so there is plenty of natural sunlight in there although its been filtered by glass but the problem with this is it is overheating the viv :censor: however every cloud has a silver lining and its lead me to an idea... what im gunna do is make a tray type thing with some wire mesh with very small holes in and this will slide into place at the front of the glass, so what im going to do is when the weather is nice im going to open my window and allow the sunlight to beat in on the viv but i will remove the glass and put the wire mesh in there insted allowing the sun to be unfiltered directly into his viv and he should still have fine temps because the ceramic and basking bulb is still going to be on and on a thermostat hopefully this will work and if it does it will be amazing for him natural sunlight is obviously much better than uv tubes :2thumb: what does every1 think? i know keeping humidity up could be a possible problem but i could always keep 1 glass panal in there and have wire mesh on the other side

#2 ·
Its not a bad idea i guess it would be the same as him going outside for a certain amount of time, although for the trouble it will cause tank modifcation etc. in my opionion it would be easyer and better if you put him outside in a home made flexie varium and putting them outside to me it seems liek the easyer option also the benefits are alot better fresh air natural sunlight also gives it a good time for the CWD to build its trust up with you taking it to and from the garden etc

#3 ·
this isnt a was of getting him outside its a way of stopping my viv overheating during hot days, i know i can take him outside and i will but this is an option for when he is in his viv as i dont want him to cook and it will be like him bieng outside all day but with the temps of a viv and the comfort of his viv, like i say this isnt a way of getting him outside it is a way of stopping my viv overheating during the summer months but it has its extra benifits e.g real sunlight

#5 ·
well if it did get too hot just make sure his got some room temp water that he can cool down in :) my CWD viv is around 35C with un heated water when the viv temp is lower his not as active and doesnt eat as well as the higher temps but if he gets too hot his got room temp water her can cool down in so aslong as it aint heated you should be fine : victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.