Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
i decided to make some cheap mag-natural ledges
i cant tell you how cheap as i had everything apart from the magnets
but buying from new...
poly-free
grout-2.50 pot
paint-about £5
varnish - £1(the chance are people would make these for cresties and other simular gecko which have a habit of pooping everywhere,so i would varish these)
magnets pack of 20 £8
you would probably be able to make about 4 or 5 legdes with that:2thumb:

shape the poly

if you want a dish create dip

grout

paint

add magnets,
1st make a bed for them to sit in
2nd using no-more nails stuff glue them in(dont use super glue it corrosive and will destory all your hard work)

varnish

finish

with bowl

without bowl

hope you like: victory:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I had a week off work and made myself some...dont look quite as neat as yours mind, and i havent got round to putting the magnets on yet :p

Was going to just hot glue gun them onto the back, but may try setting them in if i can make it neat enough :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hi - I really need to stop reading your threads!!!
I had a go at making a ledge for our crestie but my magnets weren't strong enough, so I ordered some super strong neodymium magnets, and they were too small so not strong enough either.
So far a ledge and a cave have cost me a tenner just in magnets. I've just ordered some more larger neodymium magnets (costing another £7) with a 4kg pull! I'm sure they will be strong enough but I am gonna put you on my blocked list if I crack the glass applying them!! :lol2: Keep it up - your stuff is inspirational :no1:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi - I really need to stop reading your threads!!!
I had a go at making a ledge for our crestie but my magnets weren't strong enough, so I ordered some super strong neodymium magnets, and they were too small so not strong enough either.
So far a ledge and a cave have cost me a tenner just in magnets. I've just ordered some more larger neodymium magnets (costing another £7) with a 4kg pull! I'm sure they will be strong enough but I am gonna put you on my blocked list if I crack the glass applying them!! :lol2: Keep it up - your stuff is inspirational :no1:
thanks....... i think :whistling2:

if its just an exo terra 4kg pull will be fine, mine are only 8 pound pull (3.67kg).

heres the exact ones i got....
20 Strong neodymium round / disk magnets 20x3 mm NdFeB on eBay (end time 27-May-11 10:29:04 BST)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
id love to make these for my wd but its a wooden viv =/

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
id love to make these for my wd but its a wooden viv =/
these do actually go through wood and i use them for my hognose sandfish and t's in wooden vivs, so it can work but depending on the size you might need to get bigger and stronger magnets.
or for a large wd....you could stick some nuts in and then put some bolts through the wood

: victory:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
these do actually go through wood and i use them for my hognose sandfish and t's, so it can work but depending on the size you might need to get bigger and stronger magnets.
or for a large wd....you could stick some nuts in and then put some bolts through the wood

: victory:
i have a divider in the tank atm as its WAYYYY to big for my lil baby ponyo

so i dont wana go attaching stuff untill the divider comes out really

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
i have a divider in the tank atm as its WAYYYY to big for my lil baby ponyo

so i dont wana go attaching stuff untill the divider comes out really
Maybe you could glue a metal strip inside the viv - or possibly magnetic self adhesive tape. Although to be fair I can't say I have had much luck with magnetic tape but it might be ok with strong magnets.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.