Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i fed all the subfusca slings and misted their enclosures yesterday and put the ones that werent eating to one side, i looked in today to check for moults and noticed one had what appeared to be leg curl. i scooped him out and put him on his back and dropped a tiny drip of water onto his chelicera and he diddnt drink it, just started gnashing his fangs and writhing his legs. then he will then stop, then writhe again gnashing his fangs. it looks very much like d.k.s :( poor bugga :( theres still beads of water on the side of the enclosure from yesterdays misting so i think dehydration is highly unlikely.
is there any evidence of the cause of it? i understand how much of a :hmm:subject it is. and any thoughts regarding what to do with him?
thanks.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Why did you mention DKS?

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
You have to ask why, out of all your slings, would 1 show issues and not the others?
Could it be down to a weak sling?
Or could it be down to the fact it wants to right itself so its not on its back?

I think this is one of those threads where the face palm is going to crop up. Unfortunately for every genuine case its this kind of thread that belittles the genuine issues.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
so i fed all the subfusca slings and misted their enclosures yesterday and put the ones that werent eating to one side, i looked in today to check for moults and noticed one had what appeared to be leg curl. i scooped him out and put him on his back and dropped a tiny drip of water onto his chelicera and he diddnt drink it, just started gnashing his fangs and writhing his legs. then he will then stop, then writhe again gnashing his fangs. it looks very much like d.k.s :( poor bugga :( theres still beads of water on the side of the enclosure from yesterdays misting so i think dehydration is highly unlikely.
is there any evidence of the cause of it? i understand how much of a :hmm:subject it is. and any thoughts regarding what to do with him?
thanks.

I'd say you have a weak sling as Poxicator suggested above, how many slings have you lost from the sac in total..... This DKS shizzle seems to be what everyone throws as an excuse for a whole world of issues....

From the albop Sac I am currently raising, I had 555 eggs to start with 132 did'nt hatch.... I lost around 15 from N1 to N2 and from N2 to Sling lost a further 3...... owwww and another I found last night a week after moulting to sling, it happens sadly and lets not forget spiders have alot a young, I ve read in many different books and online this is because of the high mortality rate perhaps..: victory:

·
Registered
69 Posts
if your after a cure, may i recomend pet cemetary ?

Mind you, i hear they dont come back the same....

joking aside, sorry for the loss/about to lose spiderling....

And as oready mentioned above, a few spiderlings just wont make it, no matter how much effort put into saving them.... Theyre just the "weaker" slings. It happens im afraid

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I think the letters DKS should be banned as they are getting used for all and any reason that a spider dies or is ill.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i put it in an i.c.u and it is simply sat biting the floor, it was doing this when i went to work, and it is still doing so, quivering its legs and gnashing violently at the floor. while i understand there is underlying factors which cause such problems, and that d.k.s is simply the visible signs of irregular movement that is caused by these, i was simply after a bit of advice regarding whether anything concrete is known about it so far, as im aware arachnoboards has a sticky dedicated to it, but its basically people posting the temps and humidity they were kept at before the signs developed. thanks to those who offered info, but not so much to others opted instead to chime in, simply for a cheap jeer and jab at someone with a dying t.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if your after a cure, may i recomend pet cemetary ?

Mind you, i hear they dont come back the same....

joking aside, sorry for the loss/about to lose spiderling....

And as oready mentioned above, a few spiderlings just wont make it, no matter how much effort put into saving them.... Theyre just the "weaker" slings. It happens im afraid
that one was funny and i know no harm was meant by it, i can just picture it, like when peter griffin buried his dad at the pet cemetary :lol2: il have to hit the sling with a shovel when it comes at me with red eyes :devil:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd say you have a weak sling as Poxicator suggested above, how many slings have you lost from the sac in total..... This DKS shizzle seems to be what everyone throws as an excuse for a whole world of issues....

From the albop Sac I am currently raising, I had 555 eggs to start with 132 did'nt hatch.... I lost around 15 from N1 to N2 and from N2 to Sling lost a further 3...... owwww and another I found last night a week after moulting to sling, it happens sadly and lets not forget spiders have alot a young, I ve read in many different books and online this is because of the high mortality rate perhaps..: victory:
its the first one to develop these signs, the sac had 80 odd, of which around 58 made 2nd instar, biggest problem with them was really hard moults they kept getting stuck in, despite high end of 90% humidity, lost the odd 1 or 2 more just dropped dead with no leg curl, and a few have to be kept an eye on when a moult is due, as they regularly get a leg stuck and run around with the moult attached to 1 leg, which i have to strive to remove safely, but the rest are pretty big now and eat like monsters.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
its the first one to develop these signs, the sac had 80 odd, of which around 58 made 2nd instar, biggest problem with them was really hard moults they kept getting stuck in, despite high end of 90% humidity, lost the odd 1 or 2 more just dropped dead with no leg curl, and a few have to be kept an eye on when a moult is due, as they regularly get a leg stuck and run around with the moult attached to 1 leg, which i have to strive to remove safely, but the rest are pretty big now and eat like monsters.

I think you need to forget the idea of DKS shizzle if it were happening on a few more I would start to get worried some contaminent had entered there air space or they had come into contact with something toxic.... I do feel it was that slings time or it had an issue MAYBE with its internals after the last moult... In a perfect world it would be great for them all to live but sadly this is not thee case by farrrrr.....

Out of intrest did you incubate or leave the eggs with mum... When you say 90% humidity any chance you can show me your set up.
I had the rufilata going at it again last night like a newly married couple..... I fell asleep on the settee watching crapoli on the tele and the male woke me swinging from the light shade doing the love dance.... I recon he could drum for led zeplin, definitely comes from pete lacey stock.... :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
69 Posts
that one was funny and i know no harm was meant by it, i can just picture it, like when peter griffin buried his dad at the pet cemetary :lol2: il have to hit the sling with a shovel when it comes at me with red eyes :devil:

:lol2: ahahhaa, ahh yes gota love family guy :) aint that the episode were peter has 2 dads ??

lol that would be kinda messed up lol, 8 little red eyes, and the owner bashing them with a shovel lol, im glad it put a smile on ya face mate, no harm intended :), just a lil joke :p

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think you need to forget the idea of DKS shizzle if it were happening on a few more I would start to get worried some contaminent had entered there air space or they had come into contact with something toxic.... I do feel it was that slings time or it had an issue MAYBE with its internals after the last moult... In a perfect world it would be great for them all to live but sadly this is not thee case by farrrrr.....

Out of intrest did you incubate or leave the eggs with mum... When you say 90% humidity any chance you can show me your set up.
I had the rufilata going at it again last night like a newly married couple..... I fell asleep on the settee watching crapoli on the tele and the male woke me swinging from the light shade doing the love dance.... I recon he could drum for led zeplin, definitely comes from pete lacey stock.... :Na_Na_Na_Na:
yep, i would definately be worried if some more started developing similar symptoms, the sling is still alive, but shows no signs of recovery..
i havent tried breeding ruffies yet, i will when our female moults next if she has scelorated this time round.
we got our big ornata paired, along with formosa, the subfusca again, cambridgei, metallica and the mm darlingi we recieved 50/50 got a good insert on 2 seperate occasions last week, so fingers crossed and hope yours goes well too.
i always pull sacs at around 23 days and they are usually ewls.
i then use a very similar incubating method as robc, a long exo-terra faunarium with the vents gaffer taped up, just leaving the odd one uncovered. then the old tights wrapped round a lock-to-lock box, half full of water. in the faunarium it goes with damp kitchen roll lining the bottom. then it goes on top (the mildly warm end) of our beardie viv. the exo terra hygro thermometer stays a steady 83 degrees (78 for subfusca) and around the 90% humidity mark.
i open it every day when its got miniature monsters dwelling inside, to minimise stagnant air, and to peek at the little :devil: of course :)
i cant really get a pic of it, as its currently being used to house an unexpected t (that i just had to buy!) and the other tranklements are dismantled in a cupboard as i havent had any sacs for a few months, however i will promptly upload some pics when the next sac arrives, actually hang on, i think i have some on photobucketof the ewls....

only found 1 pic, of our 1st instars
poecilotheria striata, about 7 weeks ago

: victory:
look at the little guy, very bottom left, just heaving himself out of a moult!

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
yep, i would definately be worried if some more started developing similar symptoms, the sling is still alive, but shows no signs of recovery..
i havent tried breeding ruffies yet, i will when our female moults next if she has scelorated this time round.
we got our big ornata paired, along with formosa, the subfusca again, cambridgei, metallica and the mm darlingi we recieved 50/50 got a good insert on 2 seperate occasions last week, so fingers crossed and hope yours goes well too.
i always pull sacs at around 23 days and they are usually ewls.
i then use a very similar incubating method as robc, a long exo-terra faunarium with the vents gaffer taped up, just leaving the odd one uncovered. then the old tights wrapped round a lock-to-lock box, half full of water. in the faunarium it goes with damp kitchen roll lining the bottom. then it goes on top (the mildly warm end) of our beardie viv. the exo terra hygro thermometer stays a steady 83 degrees (78 for subfusca) and around the 90% humidity mark.
i open it every day when its got miniature monsters dwelling inside, to minimise stagnant air, and to peek at the little :devil: of course :)
i cant really get a pic of it, as its currently being used to house an unexpected t (that i just had to buy!) and the other tranklements are dismantled in a cupboard as i havent had any sacs for a few months, however i will promptly upload some pics when the next sac arrives, actually hang on, i think i have some on photobucketof the ewls....

only found 1 pic, of our 1st instars
poecilotheria striata, about 7 weeks ago

: victory:
look at the little guy, very bottom left, just heaving himself out of a moult!

I will probably get ripped a new one for saying it but I recon 28c even with 90% humidity may be a little to hot for the nimphs and this could be why there getting stuck in the moults a bit, I totally understand they come from Asia and Asia is hot etc but from a few places I have read they are found in areas around 22/24c mark and of course would be slightly cooler hidden in the shade inside some tree or burrow.... Dont take this as gospal please, this is all new for me and have not to date even had a pokie sac to compare notes with, purely going on what I have read...and advise I have been given from some of the big names...: victory:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I will probably get ripped a new one for saying it but I recon 28c even with 90% humidity may be a little to hot for the nimphs and this could be why there getting stuck in the moults a bit, I totally understand they come from Asia and Asia is hot etc but from a few places I have read they are found in areas around 22/24c mark and of course would be slightly cooler hidden in the shade inside some tree or burrow.... Dont take this as gospal please, this is all new for me and have not to date even had a pokie sac to compare notes with, purely going on what I have read...and advise I have been given from some of the big names...: victory:
Selina??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts