Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning RFUK

thankyou for taking the time to read my post.

I currently have corn snake and royal python eggs cooking in the incubator at the moment, I have just lost a clutch of corn eggs because of something similar, a certain someone not mentioning the electric was running out and my eggs shrivvled up.

So far this has been the worst year of breeding I have had.

Today we have our electric being switched from meter to a monthly bill (I think) and have just been informed that the electric will be going off for a short time while they do this at about 1 today.

(but again no one has told me this ontil the very last minute and is beginning to really annoy me)
I hate this entire house, where we are, where we moved to, since moving nothing has gone right.
Any suggestions on how to save my eggs, if something goes wrong I am not gonna be happy because this will have been the second set I have lost this year:devil:

the corn eggs are 3 days old now and looking okay for the moment, and the royal eggs are 2 days again looking okay at the moment.

suggestions welcome, I did consider temporarily placing in a hot water bottle with warm water in ontil they are finished, but I have never done this before?

I sincerely also hope this thread may help future readers if anything can be done.

suggestions please :)

Dixon.

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
Ask a neighbour?? See if they are happy for you to plug your incubator in in their house, and then just very very carefully carry it there. Or ask if you can run an extension lead from their house to yours and plug it in that way.

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask a neighbour?? See if they are happy for you to plug your incubator in in their house, and then just very very carefully carry it there. Or ask if you can run an extension lead from their house to yours and plug it in that way.

lol beleive this or not lamo, I live in a street where I live on the end house, the other 2 houses down from me are empty and the people living in the other house are of mixed vairiety chinese and polish and none of them can speak english :( otherwise naturally I would.
good suggestion though.

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Have you got a car? It may be cheaper to buy a power inverter, if you're gonna go out and buy something.

You plug it in to your cigarette lighter socket, and it converts it to a 240v supply.

Bit extreme, but it's an idea.

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you got a car? It may be cheaper to buy a power inverter, if you're gonna go out and buy something.

You plug it in to your cigarette lighter socket, and it converts it to a 240v supply.

Bit extreme, but it's an idea.

I don't have a car lol :( the car that we do have is being used for transporting a member of my family to work today :devil:
but again that was a great suggestion.

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
if its only for a short time it should be fine, I have known incubators fail for upto 12 hours with no problems.

Putting a hot water bottle in will help.

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
Have you got a rough idea on how long they are going to turn the power off for? Are you using a self made incubator? I have a Beer Fridge conversion to incubate mine and the power went off for a couple of hours last season the temps went down a minimal amount, just dont open the doors.

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if its only for a short time it should be fine, I have known incubators fail for upto 12 hours with no problems.

Putting a hot water bottle in will help.
:) thanks mate, will do the hot water bottle then :)
I thought I was going to have to fork out £100, time will tell if it works or not, still its better than nothing.

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm... Hot water bottle and a thermometer then? If it's only a case of switching the meter over, can't take too long, can it??

EDIT: Beaten to it.
lol well I honestly don't know? I never deal with the electric other than pay for what I have too. Pretty much I just used the meters when living by myself.

Have you got a rough idea on how long they are going to turn the power off for? Are you using a self made incubator? I have a Beer Fridge conversion to incubate mine and the power went off for a couple of hours last season the temps went down a minimal amount, just dont open the doors.
I dont mate, and yes I am using a poly box incubator which I made myself.: victory:

·
Registered
407 Posts
try not to worry, when we had our meter changed here it the power off for 45 mins. As long as the wiring if fine it wont take too long.

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In our first incubator the heat mat failed (off fortunately) while we were away and the weather was cold. Temps went really low for anything up to 3 days and the eggs were fine.

WOW! that is impressive... well I have the hot water bottles ready at hand, I have been redoing them every hour just to be safe:2thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts