Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new dart frog tank planted. Mixture of ferns, bromeliads and mosses.

Just wondering:

Will one of the exo terra waterfalls be ok for darts?

Also with population sizing. Will the following frogs be ok in my tank (40lx20hx16w)

-Dendro Auratus x3
-Dendro Azureus x3
-Dendro Leucomelas x2

and maybe
Dendro Tinctorius x2

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
ok just read you other post. i own darts- love the azureus :)
its ok to mix if they are sub adults/juviniles but should separte when adults. Darts can be very territorial even i a well planted viv.
That also seems a lot of frogs even for that size viv. ( i have only 2/3 max frogs per 2ftl x 2ftw) Also it may not be a good itea to have that size viv if they are your starter frog. You would have to get the ratio of food to frogs just right. And it would be a case of having to collect all the grown crickets as larger than size 1 will stress them out. if you are just starting out i would be inclined to have a smaller tank and start with the leucomelas, see how it goes. Soz to put a downer on things.. im just thinking of the frogs :)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already got whites if that helps. Plus my neighbour has been keeping various reptiles for about 30years.

He's had dart frogs for about 12years. He's gonna help me out for a while until im experienced enough. And if anything does go wrong he has the stuff to help fix it. He's got me "in training" at the moment with his 2ft tank of 3 leucos.

Im only going to have leucos now anyway, as i thought the tank was too small, just hoping mainly :)

Do you think 6 leucomelas will be ok in that tank?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
hi, having whites doesnt really help much with keeping darts, they are completely different. I have 6 whites at the mo, very hardy, dont really mind if you go near the viv etc, whereas darts are a very diff kettle of fish

I would say that 6 may be to many. may be ok if you had alot of foliage in the tank and built up a background so they could have diff heights in the viv = more ground space for them :| if not i would go for 4 so if they dont get on theres enough space for them to have their own territory. if your neighbour has a 2ft tank with 3 and you have a 3ft tank with ???, i would say stick to his ratio and have one more and stay with 4. Its not always best to get alot of frogs in one go. You could always add to them at a later date if you think another 2 will be ok in there.

Leucs are great, quite hardy dart frogs. i would say a great starter frog. Azureus are ok but they are very timid to start with and can bully each other alot.

good luck with the froggies :)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
point taken.

i'm gonna stick with 4 see how they go.

cheers for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts