Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Located in Wilts, UK

I'm aware they're not common. I have a possible source in Staffordshire but want to evaluate more options before taking the plunge. I also thought classifieds were a better option than pet shops when so many of them push out WC specimens without much though. I have some ethical concerns about this as well as the heightened risk of parasites and stress and/or difficulty handling/feeding etc. That said, I don't mind if they're not 100% the friendliest; I have the time and patience to try to tame the down (or the maturity to know when they should just be left alone in peace) Just as long as they're healthy.

Looking for an adult female, or at least large enough to be regularly taking Chinese Painted quail eggs. I am walking distance from a farm with canaries. budgerigars and quail and can source eggs from a nearby breeder.

I do believe there's more important things to think about than the way animal looks, but I am leaving very heavily toward anything grey or black. Not too fussed about age.

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to reptiles (work threw a 10ft python on me and told me off I go when I was only there for an interview 2 years ago, had to do all the research in my own time) but I'm not new to animal care; after nearly 2 decades spent looking after everyone else's animals, I will finally got permission from the landlord to get my own.

Many thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a trio of Dasypeltis gansi, and one of the females is eating much more than the other and is sitting in her moss hide a lot, so I possibly might have eggs/captive bred babies later this year. Who knows.

I do however know that you can get Black Dasypeltis atra, and there's a lass in Germany who produces captive bred ones.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a trio of Dasypeltis gansi, and one of the females is eating much more than the other and is sitting in her moss hide a lot, so I possibly might have eggs/captive bred babies later this year. Who knows.

I do however know that you can get Black Dasypeltis atra, and there's a lass in Germany who produces captive bred ones.
Thanks for letting me know but that's a long wait and a lot of potential complications/extra costs importing from abroad. Thanks though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They currently have wild caught on the Peregrine wholesale weekly list with a RRP of £170. If you contact your local Pet shop they might be able to source some for you.
Thanks they have CB from the pet shop in Staffordshire for £160 and another pet shop quoted the same for WC. Asking to get them specifically brought in for myself would naturally incur more costs than that and I'm asking online because I've exhausted my options offline. Thank you though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks they have WC from the pet shop in Staffordshire for £160. Asking to get them specifically brought in for myself would naturally incur more costs than that and I'm asking online because I've exhausted my options offline. Thank you though.
Why would it incur more costs? If they have a Peregrine account and are regular customers they send them out on their van with the rest of the deliveries for free if the full order is £250.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Why would it incur more costs? If they have a Peregrine account and are regular customers they send them out on their van with the rest of the deliveries for free if the full order is £250.
Hang on I will look into that further, I found one for £150 but they don't deliver and I don't drive.

It says there's nothing in the snake category of their livestock page

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can hire your own courier. Usually costs about £50 for me to get stuff picked up and couriered from England to Scotland
I know courier's exist but that's still adding a substantial cost relative to the total cost of the snake and possible complications.

Also I am very disheartened because a shop has 3 of them, all eating well but they refuse to let me use a courier.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know courier's exist but that's still adding a substantial cost relative to the total cost of the snake and possible complications.

Also I am very disheartened because a shop has 3 of them, all eating well but they refuse to let me use a courier.
It adds to the cost of the snake, but the snake isn't something that rolls off a production line or is available off the shelf. The animal you want is unlikely to be nearby.

Using a courier can be cheaper than the two-way trip to pick it up. I'd also much rather pay a courier to bring a snake to me than spend all day driving on the M1 or M6. I've seen enough of the M1 and M6 to last me a lifetime.

Other directions/routes I'll probably go and collect on the weekend, especially if it's A roads and nice countryside.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did say in my first post I'm aware they're not common and animals in general aren't (or should not be be thought of as) something that rolls off a production line as you say (but the way people treat ball pythons sometimes would have you thinking otherwise). I know it is unlikely to be nearby as I have been searching for the past 3 months solid, but if you do not ask you do not get.

I am tempted by the gansi on Peregrine but it is WC and I have been leaning towards Scabra and the size listed makes me think it's pretty young and on top of being WC I worry about feeding problems and ethics/guilt.

I perhaps should have mentioned am disabled, do not have a car and cannot drive, but I've already clocked that a return taxi is twice as much as a quote I've gotten, but the pet shop with 3 specimens refuses anything other than face to face pick up in the middle of a pandemic for some reason.

I've probably pissed off TUM so too scared to even ask them about theirs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I find it ironic and a tad silly that they have wc species that have been taken from the wild transported and imported to a completely different continent but useing a courier to take it from A to B within the same country is too much. It's kinda ridiculous if you ask me. There's couriers I would trust more with an animal than I would with some pet shops.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find it ironic and a tad silly that they have wc species that have been taken from the wild transported and imported to a completely different continent but useing a courier to take it from A to B within the same country is too much. It's kinda ridiculous if you ask me. There's couriers I would trust more with an animal than I would with some pet shops.
Agreed. Right on their homepage is WE JUST GOT A NEW DELIVERY! like live animals are Amazon packages but they could have people turn up to the store to pick up less well equipped with a less secure vehicle than a courier. Actually that's a point, A LOT of people go to pick up animals without either party sorting out spare tubs, cages, etc. for the getting home bit. I suppose they know their system and they know their guys and don't want any grey areas for liability, once you walk in and pick it up the animal's on you I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hello 👋🏼

Do you still have your egg eaters? Also I've tried to find the breeder you mentioned in Germany but haven't had any luck. I'd love to wait and see if yours have any offspring, they are worth the wait

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hello 👋🏼

Do you still have your egg eaters? Also I've tried to find the breeder you mentioned in Germany but haven't had any luck. I'd love to wait and see if yours have any offspring, they are worth the wait
Yes I still have them. Have you joined the egg eater group on Facebook? You'll be able to find the German breeder of black atras and others on there, and sometimes helps find a source of small eggs.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Hi Do you have any scabra or gansi for sale please

1 - 19 of 19 Posts