Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, my male red footed milli, Dave, appears to have kicked the bucket. I can't find any reason for this; he's the same size as Sarah (his mate), all of them were kept together (Dave, Sarah and Harry and Lulu) and the other three aren't displaying any probs. When I found him he was tucked behind a Zoo-Med lizard ladder I had put in to hold water droplets on the wall, but I hadn't seen him there before; do you think he got stuck? I'm having troulbe keeping temps and humidity constant in this crazy weather, think I'm gonna change my substrate if it doesn't even out, but the other three seem to be coping fine. I'm a bit miffed as I got the pair at the Essex show so only had him for a few weeks, and I was hoping for some baby millis! Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the only thing I can think of is heat, but surely they're a tropical animal??!!! Ah well, not too big a loss, just need to decide if he'd prefer a ride on the porcelain train or burying in the garden!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Yeah, but in captivity, they can get away from the heat e.g. hot side and cool side, but as it was a heat wave, he wouldn't of been able to get away would he, not your fault at all, bloody wheather, it has caused some damage, Thorr's lizard died and it ruined the eggs, it ruined Kat's 1st batch etc :evil:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's true, they haven't had their heatmat on for waaaaaaayy over a month now, and even at night it's so warm cos of the vivs there's an ambient temperature of about 75F! Bloody weather.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
what type of substate are they on? i'm new to this only had mine a month, they are in a short but very long plastic pet pal (chose this as good ventilation which they need) on eco earth and with daily mists the humidity is staying great..they have a large piece of flat bark at one end where because i really wetted substrate before but bark down its stays nice and cool under there, and they have made tracks running under bark where they sleep most of time....sad to hear of the lossand the fact that you only had him a few weeks it might have already had a problem... :)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
CyberFae said:
Yeah, the only thing I can think of is heat, but surely they're a tropical animal??!!! Ah well, not too big a loss, just need to decide if he'd prefer a ride on the porcelain train or burying in the garden!
whats the porcelain train??lol

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're in a large glass viv (over a foot in all directions) on about 2 inches of orchid bark/rainforest bedding type stuff, but after talking to other people I may switch to the compost type thingy. They have underground runways too, and I bury their food as they seem to prefer it, and the have a bark hide, get sprayed regularly and have a water bowl. The others seem to be ok, though, so hopeully there'll be no more heat casualties!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts