Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I have several species of day gecko housed seperately) and wondered if anyone has ever successfully integrated the species into the same enclosure? We currently have peacocks, wiliamsi and klemmeri all of a similar size and age, a thought came to mind that with a large enough enclosure could these species co-habit?

It's not something we'd seriously consider doing without extensive research/proof that it could work etc.

Thanks in advance!

2,088 Posts
Personally (having kept both Peacock & Neon Day Geckos before - along with another 15 different species of Phelsuma) I wouldn't for the following reasons:

Male on Male Aggression - Day Geckos are renowned for this, even in a large enclosure.

Aggression in General - even animals that are kept together harmoniously for years can suddenly start fighting. Females will also fight for the right to mate with a particular male.

Species on Species Aggression - although these species are of a similar size I wouldn't risk them being kept together.

Hybridysation - I am not going to get into the ethics of this, suffice to say that if you were to sell any youngsters from this community enclosure could you be 100% sure who the parents were? Even if you were honest and sold them as potential hybrids could you be sure that 2-3 generations down the line these people would still offer them as potential hybrids? This could cause real problems particularly for L. williamsi which has become increasingly rare in recent years - a hybrid (particularly between them and the P. klemmeri) would be disasterous.

Large enclosures seem like a great idea but from experience they demand that the keeper is extremely vigilant. For starters you will need to ensure that each animal receives enough food, is not being bullied (which is another common occurance with Day Geckos) and can manifest itself in a number of ways. Another concern would be that in a large (presumably well planted) enclosure an injured animal can remain unseen for longer than one would like.

Reactions: Creed and s6t6nic6l

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've 'heard' of a single male williamsi being housed by one breeder with a large group of neons but not something I'd recommend - williamsi whilst smaller are generally much more aggressive.

I have 2 groups of neons (a group of 9 and a pair), 3 pairs of peacocks and 2 pairs of williamsi. I have to say from watching their behaviour they wouldn't be compatible together at all - the male peacocks are a lot bigger than the females and the neons, the williamsi are not even the same species and are simply best kept in pairs (maybe trios)

I only have experience once of a neon and a peacock being in contact with each other - when I bought a pair of geckos from a breeder and he decided to courier them in the same container (something that I wasn't at all impressed with and I certainly wouldn't do, suffice to say I won't buy from him again). The neon is still here and she's doing well, the peacock died 2 days after she arrived.....

The only things that I have successfully mixed is a pair of peacocks and a trio of citronella dart frogs and my group of 9 neons also have 5 azureus dart frogs in the enclosure. Before mixing the animals though I spent a lot of time checking and monitoring conditions (there are multiple temperature and humidity probes at different heights in the tanks) to be completely sure that all animals are catered for, they are also large tanks that are well planted - the frogs and the geckos seem to completely ignore each other and get on with no problems at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.