Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yoo hoo!!

Went to Reptile shop in Brighton where we used to live today, as know he's reputable and the one here is ssssoooo not! Such a robbing misleading you know what, but that's a different story!

Anyhoo, he said that the most effective way of checking the sex of ur Beardie at r Beardies age, around 3 months, is to show them their reflection in a mirror. Any1 heard of this b4? Heard all the males have bigger heads and nod more, and turn their beards black etc etc rumours, but have also heard that all of these are unreliable. Have tried looking at the shape of the tail behind the vent (sorry that's the best way I can describe it, I know what I mean), and think they're two females, although we call them a him and a her as it's easier for conversation!!

Apparently if you show them their reflection, and the Beardie is male, they will display, and perhaps become a bit aggresive. Any1 heard of this and if so how accurate have u found it.

Hope ur all well on this lloooovvvveeely Saturday evening!

Alex & Cand.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
:lol: :lol: :rotfl: have to admit ive never heard of it and never even want to think about doing it........

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do u keep Beardies Mutt? If so do u have any tips? Our 2 don't nod very often, if at all, the small one has much blacker beard, and we're 90% sure they're both girlies.

Did the mirror thing a mo ago out of curiosity and no reaction whatsoever!!

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
:lol: yeah i keep bds...... :lol:, i hope they are both girlies for your sake.......but i would keep an eye out as they reach puberty as well i aint going into the birds and the bees.... :lol:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We realise that and that's why we're keen to know for sure. We know that breeding can be difficult and really don't want the responsibility of that at this stage. Trying to take this seriously as have already fallen in love with our little BDs.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
breeding isnt difficult but if they breed too early the female can be seriously stunted or even more serious, egg bound etc etc etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts