Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think its about time i got into the snake side of things :)

been keeping the usual beardy and leo for the past 2 years, and i now have the snake urge....

primarily what interests me are the carpet python and the royal python, so just looking for some general help regarding them and general 'care' :2thumb:

i had loads of questions in my head earlier on, but my minds went blank. so heres whats in my head just now. more might pop along later.

carpets - the sizes. now as this is going to be my first snake i'm not looking for those 'monster' snakes.... so what are generally the smaller carpets?

i also like the 'high yellow' colouring, the darker specimens just dont tickle my fancy. is there any of the smaller carpets that have that really nice yellow?

a food question, well two....

is it ok to start off both these snakes on rats? i have heard on numerous occasions that they are better than mice, and would rather they get the best start than having to switch a few months down the line.

as for defrosting, whats the best? leaving them out all night, sticking them in a cup of warm water for half an hour etc etc, heard so many things.

some more...

is there likely to be young'uns of either species floating around just now, would really like them from the 'hatchling' stage, dont particularly fancy a grown on or an adult as my first. or when should i be expecting them around?

also, could you point me in the direction of some online shops who will courier such animals. or some rep shops in scotland that are 'good' and will have these guys. i'm down in the scottish borders, so around here and the edinburgh way please. dont want to travel too far.

finally, for now. upon arrival (if by courier) i would like to gradually heat the snake up over a few hours rather than bung them in, into the ideal temps straight away, is this wise? or would you recommend something else?

sorry for the long winded post

no doubt i will get some fantastic replys so thanks in advance!

Dan

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I had the exact same question as you a while ago - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/395545-first-snake-rp-ij.html

In the end I went for the carpet python, as they're SO much better as an animal that you can 'interact' with, and actually see on a day to day basis.

I got my first irian jaya at christmas. Then I bought an adult coastal carpet python. Last weekend I bought a 75% jungle jaguar.........see where I'm going with this? You can't just have one :lol:

If you go with a jungle, they shouldn't get too big, as this was a concern of mine as well with it being a first snake.

I've also bought a couple of royals as well (for different reasons). These are also pretty cool, but it's not often that you'll see them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the exact same question as you a while ago - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/395545-first-snake-rp-ij.html

In the end I went for the carpet python, as they're SO much better as an animal that you can 'interact' with, and actually see on a day to day basis.

I got my first irian jaya at christmas. Then I bought an adult coastal carpet python. Last weekend I bought a 75% jungle jaguar.........see where I'm going with this? You can't just have one :lol:

If you go with a jungle, they shouldn't get too big, as this was a concern of mine as well with it being a first snake.

I've also bought a couple of royals as well (for different reasons). These are also pretty cool, but it's not often that you'll see them.
thanks for that, tbh i think i do have my heart set on a carpet. i mean i like royals but i really like carpets.

now see thats whats confusing, jungles, jungle jags etc etc, are these just different looking snakes or are they different sized snakes?

any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
I'm not a carpet expert but I think there are 3 main types which are commonly kept.

The coastal is the biggest one and can reach 10ft. Jungles get to about 6ft and Irian Jayas are usually smaller. All of these can interbreed with each other which is why you will sometimes see snakes advertised as 50% or 75% jungle jag etc. A jungle jag "sibling" is a snake from the same clutch as a jag but which does not show the jaguar coloration.

The jaguar pattern comes from the coastal carpet but interbreeding has made jungle jaguars available, so you get the nice jag appearance along with a smaller snake. Jungles are also more arboreal than the big coastals so make a nice display snake.

Because carpets have been so cross bred (in order to get the jaguar gene from coastals to jungles) you can't be sure how large they will grow, it's best to ask how big the parents are to give you a guide!

(please excuse me if I've got any of this wrong, I've only just got into carpets) :)

There is some good info here
Carpet Python Care - ACReptiles.com

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
I'm not a carpet expert but I think there are 3 main types which are commonly kept.

The coastal is the biggest one and can reach 10ft. Jungles get to about 6ft and Irian Jayas are usually smaller. All of these can interbreed with each other which is why you will sometimes see snakes advertised as 50% or 75% jungle jag etc. A jungle jag "sibling" is a snake from the same clutch as a jag but which does not show the jaguar coloration.

The jaguar pattern comes from the coastal carpet but interbreeding has made jungle jaguars available, so you get the nice jag appearance along with a smaller snake. Jungles are also more arboreal than the big coastals so make a nice display snake.

Because carpets have been so cross bred (in order to get the jaguar gene from coastals to jungles) you can't be sure how large they will grow, it's best to ask how big the parents are to give you a guide!

(please excuse me if I've got any of this wrong, I've only just got into carpets) :)

There is some good info here
Carpet Python Care - ACReptiles.com
close enough mate : victory:

I have an adult female coastal who is 6ft 8, and a 2 1/2 year old female who is already over 6ft. Jungles can reach 8ft, but this is unusually large for a jungle, but 6 - 7ft isn't uncommon. Irian Jayas tend to be 5-6ft but again can reach 7ft.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
You won't regret getting a carpet.
Get them on rats as soon as possible. All mine eat rats except one who insists on chicks. Offering mice to a hatchling is fine, but feeding a 12 ft female on mice would be a bit expensive. They eat far bigger food items than you would imagine.
If you get a hatchling by the time it grows up, even if it gets a bit bigger than you thought, you still be bale to handle it.

Bredl's are nice too. very similar but reddish brown. Very laid back. They get to 6-8 ft ish maybe a bit bigger than a jungle but smaller than a coastal.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks folks, thats cleared a bit of my confusion up then :)

looks like irian jayas, jungles or jungle x jags are the way forward.

if anybody else would be so kind in answering my other queries though, that would be greatly appreciated :)

and most importantly, where can i get one ! explained in the first post the only way i can get one... please help!

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You won't regret getting a carpet.
Get them on rats as soon as possible. All mine eat rats except one who insists on chicks. Offering mice to a hatchling is fine, but feeding a 12 ft female on mice would be a bit expensive. They eat far bigger food items than you would imagine.
If you get a hatchling by the time it grows up, even if it gets a bit bigger than you thought, you still be bale to handle it.

Bredl's are nice too. very similar but reddish brown. Very laid back. They get to 6-8 ft ish maybe a bit bigger than a jungle but smaller than a coastal.
Damn, posted at the same time! thanks for that snickers :)

i did actually consider a bredls, might be that i havent looked at enough pictures, but the adults looked a bit dull. from the few i saw on google images lol. the young'uns though, dont get me wrong, were stunning!

if you can point me in the right direction as to what to expect with/from a bredls, pictures included :p then feel free :)

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
I don't think you will get a hatchling until summer, if that's what you're after. Carpet breeding season is about nowish.

Also, if this is your first snake, you might be wise to avoid a hatchling, unless you get it from a decent breeder who can guarantee it's feeding well. There's nothing more worrying to a new snake owner than a baby snake that won't eat.

I have an 09 Irian Jaya and a late 08 Bredl's who is quite small for her age (although she's eaten for England since I got her so that'll soon change). The Bredls has an awesome feeding response but the IJ is a little madam with her food at times. Both are very calm and handleable though.

Also you need to be aware that carpets develop in colour over the first couple of years. Hatchlings can look quite dull (again, ask to see pics of the parents)

If you want a soppy snake who will sit and watch telly with you, get a royal. If you want a more spirited snake, get a carpet. My royal is my baby, but I love the carpets for their curiosity and alertness - they don't miss a trick!

this is my little IJ - she is about 2.5ft and weighs 120g or so

and this is my Bredl's, still quite dull but starting to colour up from the tail end

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think you will get a hatchling until summer, if that's what you're after. Carpet breeding season is about nowish.

Also, if this is your first snake, you might be wise to avoid a hatchling, unless you get it from a decent breeder who can guarantee it's feeding well. There's nothing more worrying to a new snake owner than a baby snake that won't eat.

I have an 09 Irian Jaya and a late 08 Bredl's who is quite small for her age (although she's eaten for England since I got her so that'll soon change). The Bredls has an awesome feeding response but the IJ is a little madam with her food at times. Both are very calm and handleable though.

Also you need to be aware that carpets develop in colour over the first couple of years. Hatchlings can look quite dull (again, ask to see pics of the parents)

If you want a soppy snake who will sit and watch telly with you, get a royal. If you want a more spirited snake, get a carpet. My royal is my baby, but I love the carpets for their curiosity and alertness - they don't miss a trick!

this is my little IJ - she is about 2.5ft and weighs 120g or so

and this is my Bredl's, still quite dull but starting to colour up from the tail end

if i'm honest i dont think a problem feeder would phase me, i know its different with a snake, but i did have problems with the two lizards at some stage or another with food. there now all happy and eating healthily :)

and there stunning :)

i have read that about the colouring, its just again google images that may be confusing me slightly because the images of the IJ adults i have seen have all been fairly dull colourwise.

pretty sure 888reptiles has a highyellow IJ from a german line as they put it, dont know if that would satisfy my colour needs lol.

edit - woops its a high yellow jungle, my mistake...

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
sounds like a jungle is the one for you if you like the yellow :)

IJs seem to be more brown and cream, and Bredl's range from brown to a kind of brick red colour.

My friend bought this jungle carpet and he is absolutely stunning in the flesh, those pics don't do him justice at all. He is dark black and bright yellow.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake-classifieds/424575-1-0-cb-08-jungle.html

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds like a jungle is the one for you if you like the yellow :)

IJs seem to be more brown and cream, and Bredl's range from brown to a kind of brick red colour.

My friend bought this jungle carpet and he is absolutely stunning in the flesh, those pics don't do him justice at all. He is dark black and bright yellow.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake-classifieds/424575-1-0-cb-08-jungle.html
i'm really liking the jungle x jags and the IJ x jungles

you know what their size is like compared to the others?

and yup a cracker :)

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
if i'm honest i dont think a problem feeder would phase me, i know its different with a snake, but i did have problems with the two lizards at some stage or another with food. there now all happy and eating healthily :)

I'll just stop you now....i keep both lizards and snakes and you cant be thinking in the same mindset for both of these. They act,live and do everything differently. Lizards feed on hunger , whereas snakes feed on response....you need to find triggers,triggers set off a spark in the snakes head which cause its feeding response to kick in, Completely different to getting no feeding lizards going

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
thanks folks, thats cleared a bit of my confusion up then :)

looks like irian jayas, jungles or jungle x jags are the way forward.

if anybody else would be so kind in answering my other queries though, that would be greatly appreciated :)

and most importantly, where can i get one ! explained in the first post the only way i can get one... please help!

Cheers

Dan
I am pretty sure they have a jungle carpet in my local shop in Edinburgh. It is called water wonders. You can look up the number or look out for Robbie on here as he works there.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll just stop you now....i keep both lizards and snakes and you cant be thinking in the same mindset for both of these. They act,live and do everything differently. Lizards feed on hunger , whereas snakes feed on response....you need to find triggers,triggers set off a spark in the snakes head which cause its feeding response to kick in, Completely different to getting no feeding lizards going
oh no, i'm not thinking in the same mindset. i'm not saying its going to be an easy task. just that it wont phase me if i do get a non feeder.

scenting, braining and so on (i think thats the right term?). i will do.

plus if worst comes to worst there is other people who keep snakes in my area that i can always go to for help if need be :)

i was just merely pointing out that a first snake being a non feeder wont cause to much panic for me....

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am pretty sure they have a jungle carpet in my local shop in Edinburgh. It is called water wonders. You can look up the number or look out for Robbie on here as he works there.
thanks for that :)

will wait and see how the response goes to my size question regarding the jungle x jags and the IJ x jags. as these would be my primary choice, if they are size appropriate of course. but again thanks for that, helps me out :2thumb:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
still looking for some replys to the more general 'care' questions peeps, if you would be so kind :)

and obviously shop recommendations online or in scotland that i can take a peek at, thanks again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts