Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a tank 2ftx18x3ft(high) tank, what sorta tree frogs would you recommend, i've got whites but i'm looking at the poison darts. can you mix different ones?

also what sort of set-up would you recommend. i would like live plants, water wise do i need a big swimming area?

there are 3 frogs which i like:
Dendrobates Azureus
D. Auratus
D. Leucomelas

will they live together, if so, what sort of population size am i looking at, it is one of each or can pairs/groups be kept together?

cheers
Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
dendrobates

hi ,

I've read your post asking what frogs will suit your viv etc you say your viv is tall?? as dart frogs (dendrobates) require a terrestrial vivaruim not an arboreal set up darts' prefer to have lots of floor space in other words. I dont as yet have these beautiful little creatures but i indend to one day im just apprehensive about it as they are very high maintainance and expensive I've read lots of different care sheets for them and i think the FAQ one is good.

These small frogs are fairly territorial and do best in a large terrarium. A 15-gallon tank would be adequate for a group of 4 adults. They require a well-planted woodland type set-up with a substrate of bark chips or topsoil covered with live moss. Furnishings such as logs, cork bark and live plants (Ferns, Bromeliads, Tillandsia, Orchids) can be arranged to provide a number of climbing, perching and hiding places. A large shallow water bowl (no deeper than the frog's height at rest) must be provided with clean de-chlorinated or spring water. The water will need to be changed daily to avoid the build up of ammonia and bacteria in the water whilst changing the water it is a good idea to visually inspect the tank and remove, clean and replace any soiled items. The tank will need to be heated to a daytime temperature of 28-30°C with a drop at night to 25-26°C this can be done with an under-tank heat-mat controlled by a thermostat. It is not advisable to use spot / heat lamps with amphibians and so a separate light source should be provided by the means of a fluorescent UVB tube. Once every two-three weeks the tank and its contents should be completely cleaned and sterilized using an amphibian / reptile friendly disinfectant.
I copy and pasted this hope it helps x

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right, change of plan.

I went to my reptile shop today and got all the info i needed.

I'm hoping to get some of each of the above frogs.

The tank has changed. My puffer fish died today when i was on holiday (thanks to my mums friend) so now i have a spare tank.

its 40x20x16 (inches). I'm gonna plant it all out.

Question for you lot though, do dendrobates swim? ie do they need a large water bowl?

cheers
Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
dart frogs swimming????

hi,

dart frogs of any species DO NOT swim they are not strong swimmers atall just like whites they only use water to rehydrate not to swim, only an average sized water bowl is needed for these lil dudes and maybe afew little stones in the water bowl for them to climb out.

Did you know that when a female dendrobrate lays eggs it usually only lays one or two at a time then once developed into a tadpole she will carry it on her back to a seperate nursery (usually a half open leaf full of rainwater) and lay and unfertilizd egg for her offspring to feed on.
Had to share that with y'all ha im sad i know nevermind ha ha !!!
xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts